1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Strange remote issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xansereg, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Xansereg

Xansereg New Member

I had a very strange problem happen last game. Two of my players log in remotely to my games, and both of them had an issue where they connected fine, then the entire program hung as it was loading the map and characters. The hang affected every player and myself.

I have verified that my ports are open (if they aren't, they player can't even connect), and that my network settings are correct. Even stranger, if I take my notebook and log into my neighbour's wifi (with his permission, of course), and then log into my home computer using my internet IP (my neighbour has a different ISP than myself), it works fine with no hangs or lag, yet I had TWO computers display the same problem when attempting to log in over the internet.

I have verified the issue is not at my end with my ISP, router, or host computer (at least to my knowledge) and tested, yet there doesn't seem to be anyting wrong with the player's computers either.

Stranger still, we have been running fine for 6+ weeks, and this is the first time this has happend.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Some Follow-Up Questions

Does this lag/hang happen when the player is trying to login?
    Or, does it lag/hang sometime during the game when you are updating a map?

Does the hang correct itself after the data is sent?
    Or, does the connection lag out and disconnect the player?

Initial Thoughts

I can think of two possible reasons why this may occur...
    1) Some of the packets the host computer is sending (to update those specific player's computers) are not received by the player's computer. This could be due to several factors including unstable internet access (3G/4G wireless), or perhaps other factors associated with the player's ISP network health. If this issue happens again, you can have your players' test their internet access by pinging google.com to see network health and latency.
    2) Memory allocation to Java applications are low. Each player can set a higher memory allocation to java.

3. Xansereg

Xansereg New Member

The lag happens after the player has logged in, as it is updating the map for the first time. The connection eventually lags out and disconnects the player, and all my other players cheer as they are able to move again....

I will have my players test their connection, and I will look into the JAVA memory allocation. Thanks for the suggestions!