1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Spells and memorization.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tharck, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Tharck

Tharck New Member

First off, im excited about this product - I have been a DM from a gaming table for 21 years and I am hoping this can give me a close experience.

That said im having trouble with a good way for players to memorize spells, will I have to select what spells that have - and change - each day? Are there any shortcuts or tips that can help me make this a faster process?

2. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Basically you will have to change the spells memorized everyday. Or you could just have them keep whatever spells that they have memorized and just tell you what spells they memorize them, write them down or whatever and just change the effects when you cast them.

But in all honesty it takes less than 2 minutes or so to change the persons spells everyday when memorized.

3. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Nods but personally as a DM I dont want to know what spells they have memorized (personal taste) and if I ran an epic campaign, it might take awhil especially with extensive spell lists. Just wanted to see if there was a fast and easy way, np.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Yeah, we've had a right nice spam attack today.

But really, I'm glad this post popped up, because I was wondering the same thing. I don't know and don't care what spells my players have memorized, and with several spell users in my group, I find it really annoying to have to change all their spells manually while everyone waits. I have the same issue with items and money. Do I really have to play the quartermaster and banker, too? What a pain for GMs who prefer to be more laid back about that kind of stuff. It would be nice to allow players to make limited changes to their own character sheets (approved by the GM, perhaps).

5. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

I agree, but the spell changes get fast with a little practice but it would be nice for the players to be able to edit their memorized spells. As for money and items I do not even bother with that kind of thing. I use A Google Site (this is for my newest game) for the tracking of things like gold and items in the game.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I kind of like having everything in one place (d20pro). But that site looks pretty cool. How long did it take you to get that set up? It looks like the character sheet is custom made.

7. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

The site is a Google template that I modified to get it the way I like.

8. Zug

Zug New Member

Another spells/memorization question...

What about items that allow casters to 'retrieve a spell cast that day' (lucubration comes to mind)...how can the judge restore a single spell back to the players memorized list? It seems once it's cast, it is gone...even from the Character Editor. Only by clicking 'rest' does it get restored...but I only want 'one' spell restored, not all.

9. Tharck

Tharck New Member

To Zug. Have them cast the spell. Go to their abilities and write in the spell they recalled and make it 1 charge.
    You can also just make an edit on their notes section. In both cases when they cast the spell and you want to apply an effect just click "Spontanious Ability" and add any details to that - then have it take effect.

10. Dan

Dan Member