1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

A question about Player Characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Overthrown, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Overthrown

Overthrown New Member

Hey, I just bought this game at GenCon, and am giving it a try. Having a few problems with a few things, almost seems like a few things are missing. This is the 2.0 version of the game.

I was trying to play a test game with my GF while she was here, test things out, do a few actions, ect. However, I ran into one main problem..

1) Is it possible for her to make a character? If so, how can you go about doing that? I tried to do it myself, and just give ehr ownership, but I am missing humans and elves and other such things and can only make monsters..

I noticed most of these posts and boards were made for older versions, and wanted to continue to update it a bit. I do like the system, but it does sem a tad hard to use. So hopefully, this question will be answered :) Thanks for your time.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Hello Overthrown,

In d20pro, monsters and creatures are all considered Creatures and are edited only by the GM. We are looking to develop a character editor either as a stand alone application or on the web which will allow anyone to make a character, but that will be in a later release and I cannot comment more about it.

To make a player character, the GM can use the Start icon (top left) and select Library. Once there, click on the creature icon to access your creature library. Then click on the button at the bottom to create a new creature. That creature will be listed in your library as Unknown. Click on the creature's portrait icon to edit it.

From there, just fill our at much or as little as you want. When you are ready to play with the character, drag it onto a map and assign ownership to your player.

Our online manual is being updated to reflect version 2.0, but it's still pretty valid. Click on the ? icon in your start menu to access it. Look for how-to videos for 2.0 soon!

3. Dan

Dan Member

Overthrown,

I would also like to add that I am available after 9:30 EST on most weeknights if you would like a demo or quick Q&A training session. I'm here to help, and it's free!

4. Overthrown

Overthrown New Member

Alright, cool :) That sounds pretty good. So the PC can't make his own character then, alright, was just curious. That Demo and Q&A might be a good idea. 9:30 PM EST? I think I can get on about then. Do you have MSN or AIM?

Can email me it at TillyBomas@hotmail.com

5. Dan

Dan Member

Ok, I'll take this off the forums and contact you via email. See you soon!

6. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Yeah, I had my first test session with one of my players. I think this would have become evident to me quicker if they had a couple of PCs in there with the subclass of PC because the way it stands, I was not really certain where the PCs came from.

If you are looking for a creation tool, I would suggest Hero Lab. It fully supports d20Pro for exporting. In fact, I found out about this program from the Hero Lab site. They have a banner right on the main page... In fact... there is a banner for Hero Lab on THIS site! :D

Just wanted to also say, great product. Still in my trial and doing some test combats and small mini-adventures. My group will be getting 2 full licensees and a couple extra guests in the next month or so. Wish I had seen you all at GenCon, just found out about you like last week.

7. Dan

Dan Member

Glad you are liking the software! Please feel free to email me (dan at mindgene) if you need any assistance.

Also, check out our Online Manual, or hit the ? button in your d20pro Start Menu. It's still a work in progress to update it to the new 2.0, but it's about 80% done.

8. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Hey Dan - Thanks for the reply.

Actually I did email you over the weekend. I have gotten two kickbacks saying it was having DNS problems delivering, though it actually has not failed yet.

Finishing up my first setup encounter. So far everything is going well. Noticing some issues with importing Pathfinder characters, but I assume the txt file I saw in another thread will fix this. I have not had a chance to play with those files yet.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Hmmm. Try my personal email then: rivera.ga (at) gmail.com

10. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Hey Dan, nevermind. I figured out what was going on, and as I expected... it was my fault. :D

I resent it. Thanks.