1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Port Forwading Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vol, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Vol

Vol New Member

I figured I would start a new post specifically about port forwarding and connection issues. Gotta say I'm frustrated at this point and need some guidance from the sages. Here's the scoop with full caveat that I am a port forwarding noob...

1. Tried to set up a session with my buddies only to have them get 'connection timed out' and refused connection errors.
    2. Opened all my firewalls to no avail.
    3. Attempted to set up a port forward by first setting up a static IP address for my host PC and then configuring a the forward on my router using the default port and TCP as the protocol. I set the Device IP Address to the static IP I just set up. I tried both leaving the Public IP blank and populated with my router's public IP address. No go on any of the attempts regardless of whether I gave my friends the static IP address or the Public IP address.

It still appears nothing is getting through. What am I doing wrong here? Is this an issue with my ISP (Verizon FIOS)? Am I not setting up the addressing right? Would choosing a different port matter?????
    Please advise. I really like the overall features of the product but am loathe to purchase a license if I can't set up a remote game.
    Help me Obi-Wan you're my only hope.
    Vol

2. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Two key pieces of information missing here...

1) what the brand of router you are using?
    2) What security/firewall software are you using?

Let me know that, and I will see if I can find a manual for it and tell ya how to set it up. Setting it static really doesn't matter, the only difference is you have to go back and check it each time and change it if needed. In fact, I would probably recommend against static IPs since it is just one more thing to go wrong.

EDIT: Just an FYI, I am currently working on a Port Forwarding Guide to post here also. Should be done sometime in the following week. :D

EDIT... AGAIN: Actually, I already finished the Port Forwarding Guide. CLICK HERE

3. Vol

Vol New Member

Thanks for your reply BrashFink. I did some research in the meantime and actually found out that it the way Verizon handles their TCP ports. This required me to select 'Any' as the Source port and then '10101' (or whichever port I desired for the D20 app) as the destination port. That cleared it up.
    Good to go now, and loving the online play! I do believe that D20 has actually improved upon our table-top D&D games!
    Vol

4. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Interesting... Linksys does not seem to have a setting "Any". Is it referring to both UDP and TCP? or something else? What router do you have? I can probably get the information I am curious about from their site.

Thanks for the info!

5. Vol

Vol New Member

Verizon FIOS uses an OEM router from Actiontec. Model number is MI424-WR. If you use portforward.com it is listed there as V2.

The 'Any' option is a pull down in the box for specifying whether you want to enter a single port number, a range, or 'any'. From there a dialog then pops up asking which port number or range of numbers you want to screen for. You do this for both the incoming source port number and the destination port you want to forward to on the destination PC. Specifying TCP or UDP is a seperate entry box in which it asks for the particular protocol you are monitoring.

Check out portforward.com for more details including screen shots of the relevant dialog boxes. I will tell you though, I ended up having to browse the forums on FIOS in order to find the solution. I kept entering a single port number per the instuctions on portfoward as the source to no avail. The FIOS forums had many others with the same problem. The issue is that FIOS installs the router with a blanket port forward instruction for ALL incoming TCP that you can not edit or delete! Hence the need to over-ride with an 'any' instruction. What a pain. Welcome to the world of paranoid internet security.

Overall, this is really a tough issue for a non-techie with many ways to go astray (port selection, IP addressing, protocol selection, etc). I imagine it will make for many still-born VT campaigns. Thank goodness for Forums!
    Vol

6. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

AHHH! THOSE things! I am not familiar with that particular one, but there is a couple we encounter at work all the time... usually from 2Wire.

With those being a modem/router combo, there is no WAN side port because it is internal and connected to the modem part. We have people continually plugging them in backwards without disabling DHCP. Then we end up shutting them down on the switch due to showing up as a rouge server.

Yeah, even your discription of "Any" sounds confusing. I bet that was frustrating. I will have to pop over and look at PortForward and have a look while reading what you posted again.

7. Vol

Vol New Member

Excellent. Thanks BrashFink. Do let me know if you uncover anything risky about what I've done. Forwading all incoming TCP this way does leave me wondering about ramifications...

8. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Probably not a big deal as long as you close the port when not playing, which is a good practice anyway.