1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

More detail on saving throw rolls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, May 17, 2011.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Greetings all,

My gaming group just started to use d20Pro...overall it appears to be a very robust VTT and we're all excited to get familiar with it. One item that we're wondering about is how to show more detail in the game log when multiple targets (PC or NPC) take AoE damage. Is it possible to show specific modifiers that were applied to achieve a final damage amount? For example, if two monsters are caught in a Burning Hands, the Game Log shows 'X cast Burning Hands on Y(takes 11), Z(takes 5)'. Can we show the actual saving throw rolls with modifiers that were used to achieve the damage of 11 on one guy and the damage of 5 on another?

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Firebringer

2. Tharck

Tharck New Member

I'd like to see the internal roll as well.

3. firebringer

firebringer Member

I'm thinking somthing along the lines of a hover tool tip that, when the mouse is left over a saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result, shows a) the original dice roll, and b) all modifiers, by type (enhancement, deflection, feat, trait, racial, sacred, untyped, etc.) that were applied to the roll.

Alternatively, make the saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result clickable such that it would open a new small pop up window with the information listed above.

Being able to view this information allows the GM and players to feel confident that all valid modifiers are being applied to a given roll.

Thanks,

Firebringer

4. Truwen

Truwen Member

Agreed, Charm person came up in our last campaign when we were trialing D20pro for the fist time in a campaign. And we couldn't tell if the save was made or not. We assumed it was however. Just an FYI if you haven't noticed, as I am playing around in D20 pro as we speak I just tested an idea. I used charm person on a party member from an Ogre Mage. The DC of an Ogre Mages charm person is DC14, will negates. So I upped the DC in my saved Charm Person effect profile to 29, and then attempted to charm a person. A Red (instead of green) Asterisk came up, so I clicked on the "Click to target" list and it gave a list of who saved/who failed. Two columns. I didn't know this window existed. In here you can override the save/fail and apply damage if you want.

Though it does not show the numbers, it does show you that D20 pro does calculate all of the right stuff, assuming it is set up correctly.

5. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Nods, although I know my PCs like to see the rolls behind the scenes so I generally just have them roll the save (or roll for them by selecting them and hitting R, F, or W) since it accomplishes what I want. However for AoE type damage I ignore rolling personal saves and just apply through the effect DC on pass/fail since it saves a lot more time. This is the part that I would like to see the individual saving throws and the roll tied to them, not simply the pass/fail.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, this is a very good suggestion.

Please post this request on the "Feature Request" board. Feature Requests

Currently, I let individuals roll their save and apply the effects after for one target. Multiple targets I use the auto pass/fail method. But would much prefer the actual result to be displayed when d20Pro automates the rolls.

7. maxwell

maxwell New Member

The problem I have with the simple pass/fail system from the created spell effects is that the save rolls don't apply bonuses like a dwarf's or elf's racial save bonuses. Without seeing the actual rolls, I can't tell if I should override the results. The good news is that I can just have the players roll their saves and damage them accordingly. It's just a little more time consuming.