1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Making Maps from NWN/NWN2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mandos, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Anyone tried using either the editor in NWN or NWN2 to build a game location, and then take a top down screen shot for a map? I think you'd need a hak to totally free the camera, but it might be a good way to get some nice maps. Imma try, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience.

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

You know what'd be even more impressive is if you got the top down screenshot of some of the dungeons and overland scenes, AND created GIF animations out of some of the ambient animated objects. i.e.....Lit torches......characters walking....and so on.

If you do get some screenshots, let me know, I'll take a bunch of them. Once its possible to create maps again with the new update that is supposedly going to be released at Gencon.

3. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Whoah...it works:

[​IMG]

4. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Cool and you can make handouts!

[​IMG]

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Wow, those look awesome!

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

If you could transfer them over to D20pro format I'd definitely be interested.

Can you make a zoomable, larger image?

7. Mandos

Mandos New Member

So I played around a bit, this time making a small crypt level, and putting in some lighting and one environmental object:
    [​IMG]

Possible handout:
    [​IMG]

two things:

1) What do you mean by D20pro format exactly? I've been making maps by copying images off the web, creating a new map, and then using the "from clipboard" command. Do you mean make a map and then export the map in D20Pro's map format, instead of just posting the image?

2) I would like some help from smarter folks than me. I'm basically taking a screen shot from the editor, pasting it into MS Paint, and then loading the JPG i saved from Paint into photobucket. How could I get a better picture/higher resolution?

8. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

Now this has true potential!!!!

9. cyderak

cyderak Member

There is a tutorial on the D20Pro page that details how to create a D20Pro map.

I'm at work but when I get home I can look how to execute it correctly and tghen I'll post on here how to do it.

10. Truwen

Truwen Member

Good idea. Make some high resolution maps this way. I think if you just take your screenshot, then copy to paint then crop if needed that would suffice for some sweet maps.

11. neofax

neofax New Member

I thought there was a program that can export data from NWN/NWN2 as a jpeg. If so, then I have a tutorial you can use to make the map fit into d20Pro.

12. Mandos

Mandos New Member

neo, any clue as to the name of that program? Any search terms you can think of?

13. neofax

neofax New Member

No, but if you go to one of the Mod Communities for either game, I am sure they can tell you. If not, you will need to take screen captures like you are doing currently, but use GIMP to resize them to fit a grid.

14. kridak

kridak New Member

A couple of questions...

When in NWN2 how do i remove the ui to take the screen capture?

How do you hide the character so it does not show up in the screen capture?

Kridak

15. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Kridak, are you in the game client or the toolset?

In the toolset, you use the "pins" on the palettes to make them clip to the sides. If you are in the game client, I think you would have to use an invisible DM (i.e. load in as the DM) to do it.