1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

v3.0...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zug, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Zulithe

Zulithe New Member

Soooo when are we going to get some information about v3? Features, pricing, screenshots, etc.?

The announcement has been on the website's front page for many weeks and we still don't know anything about it apart from the version number and that it will have a marketplace... :?

2. mahhand

mahhand Member

i am just dieing for a crack at the beta of 3.0

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Some of the things included in version 3 are:

• The Content Marketplace where publishers and artists will be able to offer everything from small token packs to entire adventures with all their assets already in d20Pro format

Improved image/file chooser to make importing custom graphics and maps much smoother

Look and feel changes to help games flow better

We're also working on a major overhaul of the look and feel to help make things more stable and improve consistency across platforms, as well as dynamic FoW, but its not certain that these two features will make it into v3.0

As far as pricing, there won't be any change in pricing and the new version will be free to anybody who already has a valid license. We've never charged existing users for updates or new versions and we don't plan to start now.

4. kridak

kridak New Member

So is the marketplace how you will start adding some revenue into the company?

It is great that you do not charge for updates and major overhauls, but how do you guys keep going?

Last thing i want to see is a great program go out the window because of lack of funds.

Honestly, i would gladly pay for upgraded version of d20, so long as they were truly a great update.

Adding FoW will be massive and i would gladly pay for that, without a second thought.

5. neofax

neofax New Member

Maybe they should setup a donate jar.

6. kridak

kridak New Member

That would work. I would be willing to donate for sure.

7. cyderak

cyderak Member

Or maybe they could solicite money the old fasioned way........by earning it.

In my opinion donations should be reserved for chairities.

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Charities earn their donations, too. It's all a matter of providing something that people value enough to give money for it. Donation models have worked well for commercial endeavors in the past when done right.

Anyway, I have a feeling the d20pro guys are fully aware of whether or not they need to charge for their product or not.

9. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

I love the idea of a donate jar, but I am going to side with Cyberdak here. The idea of the marketplace will bring in the added revenue to sustain us, but you may be surprised how we have been able to maintain with just license sales. We are more of a part time operation with aspirations of growing into something larger. We believe once we all have more time to devote toward this project and others, we can really help gaming continue advancing.

You can help out in other ways though. You can go to the conventions we are going to and play in our games, you can check out some of the other products we support like Hero Lab, the Gameratti Network, Infrno.net, and more, you can contact the publishers of the games you play and demand the content in d20pro format, you can help get the word out via social networking, etc, etc, etc...

If anyone is interested in assisting in other ways, please contact me off site and I would be glad to enlist you into our army of darkness, wait, I mean a member of our team. :twisted:

Best regards and good gaming,

Nick

10. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Ya know, I do actually have a "tip jar" on my desk at home but I never seem to get any tips. I used to bar-tend (poorly) some and so I've been trying to 'seed' the jar to get things going but my seed money keeps disappearing. Strangely enough, my wife winds up with a new pair of shoes every couple months .....

11. kridak

kridak New Member

Just keep on rocking, d20pro is a great product.

Can't wait to start spending in the marketplace!!

Gimme the goodies.

I eventually expect some some kind of huge version change or update will come that would require an upgrade payment (all software companies do this) and i will gladly fork over the money.

Your product is worth it in my opinion because it saves me time!

12. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

I don't know if this was answered or not but will V3.0 have native dnd4.0 support or just better "play nicely" work-ins (not to say the "play nicely" work-ins aren't great but as one of my old proffessors used to say the day you believe your product can't be improved is the day an upstart takes your market share)?

13. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hail Bigbsonnier,

v3.0 will not have native 4E support; however, we have heard WotC loosened their grip on things a little. As soon as we can come up for air, that is worth investigating. We agree with your professor and will do our best to continue adding user suggested improvements in order to stay ahead of any upstarts.

Best regards and good gaming,

Nick

14. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

"we have heard WotC loosened their grip on things a little"

To what does this refer? have they added the 4E style mechanics to the Open License ... uh License (lol)?

15. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hail bigsonnier,

We have yet to dig deeper into the rumor. There are always tons of things heard through the exhibit hall aisles of GenCon. Some of it is true, some of it is partially true, and some of it is not so true. Once we come up for air from the development and testing we are doing right now, we are sure to take a closer look at what we can do to increase d20Pro's abilities for our users needs.

Good gaming,

Nick

16. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

Coolness! Keep up the awesome guys!

17. Truwen

Truwen Member

Can't wait. I am real interested in Fog of War stuff! *Crosses fingers* Hope it is in this build.

18. Overspace

Overspace New Member

They already said it wont !

Any ETA on 3.0 ?

19. Truwen

Truwen Member

I remembered that this morning, I've been assimilating a lot of information so naturally some things get missed. Been learning d20 pro over the last few months so I can more or less teach the members of my group that typically have a harder time with technology than others.

Thanks for the clarification though.

20. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hows the beta going?......ETA?............