1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Who should control character sheets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaly, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jaly

jaly New Member

I was going to post on feature request under one of the posts requesting that players be allowed to update their own characters with GM approval.

My question for other groups is who should control character sheets? I have been playing D&D in some fashion or another since the 80s. In that time, none of my GMs have ever audited any of my pen/paper character sheets. So why shouldn't the players control their own character sheets in D20 pro? I would at least like the option.

Both GMs I play with right now believe that you trust the players. When we start a session, we either send updated characters (for those of us with Judges licenses) or the GMs update the characters based on what we tell them. Bascially, they feel that the characters belong to us while the world belongs to them.

All in all, it is a fantastic tool which has increased our enjoyment of playing D&D from across the US.

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I'm in total agreement with you there. If you look through the thread about everyone's top feature requests, I think the single most frequent request is the ability to allow players to edit their own character sheets.

3. neofax

neofax New Member

For all of the groups I DM or play in, the DM verifies the data on the character sheet is correct. I have players that take spells/feats/equipment... they are not allowed or meet because they either don't read the rules or don't bother to verify the CS before sending it. I have other players that shortchange themselves by wealth/feats/spells..and I have to ask them what they plan to take for that slot. So, I would much rather have the player control their character sheet, but every change is broadcast to the GM in private. Also, I would like to have the ability where the players could drop their own token on the map and it is verified against the DM's version and any differences sent to the GM in private. This way players can make their own tokens on their own time and send them and all I have to do is verify the diff.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Totally agree.

5. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hail my friends,

This is something we have gone back and forth on for a bit. I think for the most part we agree with the base of what is being discussed here; however, implementing into the software is another story all together. It is on the list though, but no promises as to when.

Good gaming,

Nick