1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Drop in creatures without players knowing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Truwen, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Truwen

Truwen Member

Is there a way to drop in a creature without it coming on the active initiative roster list. Whether in combat or not. I want to add them to initiative as they are encountered. And I feel I need to add a creature or 2 to an encounter I would like to be able to drop them and add them as if, for example, the Ogre Mage was invisible and heading down the hallway to investigate some noise it heard. So I would like to have it invisible when I drop it in by default.

Or if I want to on a whim add a trap, I have them invisible when I set the map up. But when I want to throw one in on a whim it is visible and is on the active roster. So is there any way to add things to the game on a whim without them being in the active roster?

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Disable the auto-broadcast so that they do not see anything until you hit the broadcast to players button. And you could also have a secondary place holding map that you can apply effects, such as invisibility, to your creature/item and move it to the active map at your leisure.

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

How do you disable auto-broadcast?

Creatures dropped onto another open map will still appear in the active roster until hidden or taken out of initiative, I believe.

4. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

I tend to pull a creature onto a map outside of game time (when constructing encounters), take out of initiative, then re-save to library (delete original so there's only one creature with that name). In the future, if I drop that creature onto the map from the library, it shouldn't be active. I tend to "correct" these as I go, not re-save the entire library! And, of course, I save new creatures out of initiative.

So there are some edits you can do to creatures directly in the library, and others that seem to only apply when they're on a map. It's the latter types of changes that prompt me to save over the original.

Taking out of initiative is not the only tweak, but one of the things I do when updating creatures for future use. Another I like to do is "correct" claw attacks to have piercing and slashing, and bites to have: piercing, slashing, bludgeoning. Again, not something I do all at once, but as I examine a creature for a particular set of encounters.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

It should be in the Options Window. I am not able to look at the Program ATM so I can only point you there until I get home.

6. Truwen

Truwen Member

First of all thanks for the responses. @VIsion9000, I usually do the same when creating encounters. Though, sometimes something comes up where the actions of my players might prompt me to have a circumstance where a "wondering creature" notices the cleric who decides he's the scout and follows the rogue into a room he shouldn't be going in until the party is ready for that encounter. So I tend to throw something in as a surprise unplanned encounter, as a circumstance. Of course I give the players a chance to notice what is going on, but one person might end up getting some penalties or bonuses depending on the circumstances at hand.

Any way, I am looking for the auto broadcast. The only thing I see is to disable auto-broadcast when a player connects.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will play around with it and load up on my player and test some things with your suggestions.

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

That should be the setting under Judge in the Game Options. You should now have to use the broadcast button at the top to show your players the changes. This should help you add to the map and not have them see your changes immediately.

8. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Easiest way I have found is to always have some section of the map that is under fog of war, If you place a creature in the area of fog of war they do not show in the roster as they are set by default to dynamic viewing I believe and only appear if they go into a explored map piece. Then you can apply effects change visibility and what not and it should not broadcast anything to players and they should not be visible in the players roster..

9. Truwen

Truwen Member

Ok so placing things into unexplored space, making them invisible/altering them works perfect. If a player moves it won't update, that is exactly what I wanted to do.