1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Quesetion on spells.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Truwen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Truwen

Truwen Member

I've been going through my books and adding spells to the spells list. Then I realize "oh great! I will have to add each spell to the classes spell list." So My question is this. Is it better to add them per class in the classes.txt file or add them in through the freeform option in d20pro?

My opinion for less tedious "data entry" would be to do them through freeform assuming I am understanding that right, just add them from the list per level. Depending on the class which assumes the spell can be used by that class. As I am the DM I can look the spells up and verify their class can use them.

For a more robust spell selection through the class list, though more tedious "data entry" I could just put them in the classes.txt file per class. Which might be a bit more annoying and take a lot more time to finish this project.

At any rate, what does everyone think would be the "best" way to do it or the generally more preferred method?

Finally, I am wondering what the restrictions to posting these files are on these forums. I read the posting restrictions but am unclear if it means any text about a spell or class or any other reference to "something" in game includes the spell name/class name/spell list etc. Or is it simply I can refer to the spell/class/anything by name, but have no details added from the text? Ultimately I want to share these files when I am done compiling them and putting the classes and spells in. But I want to do it the the correct way that is allowed on the forums here. Also keep in mind this is all v3.5, I would imagine any 4.0 info is a bit more restricted for sharing.

Any way, thanks for the responses.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Truwen,

Rules about posting content
    • If you want to upload the text files regarding the Rule Set for any game system with an Open Game License - OGL - which v3.5 is OGL (Anything inside classes.txt, spells.txt, feats.txt, or skills.txt) you can post freely, or sell to anyone who will pay you.
    • If you want to upload the text files regarding D&D 4E rule set (covered in the GSL) to this community player base for the limited use of allowing players who own D&D 4E material to play D&D 4E on a Virtual Table Top such as d20Pro, you are free to share, but can not collect any money.
    • You may post any graphic/map which you have personally created.
    • You may post a screenshot of your desktop running d20Pro to help with any diagnosing a program issue/bug.

If you have a complete listing of all the spells that's available for each class in the classes.txt it makes entering the spells memorized as simple as a couple of clicks on the mouse when editing the spell tab.

If you want to use the freeform, it will pull up all the spells inside the spells.txt file, where you can select the spells you want to memorize at which level with by selecting a level, then selecting the spell, then double-click on the selected spell. Using this method you can can memorize Wish as a level 0 spell if you were so inclined. There is no search function in the Freeform Spell Editor, so you will need to scroll up or down to the appropriate spell.

If your players have actual character sheets with their spells written down, it might be easier (when you are setting things up, or as a permanent solution) to simply use the Ability Tab.
    - Create one entry for each spell level
    - - "Level 1 Spell" - 4 / 4 - Per Day
    - - "Level 2 Spell" - 3 / 3 - Per Day
    - - "Level 3 Spell" - 2 / 2 - Per Day
    - - "Level 4 Spell" - 1 / 1 - Per Day
    - Then when a player wants to cast a spell, they press their ability that corresponds to the spell level (to keep track of how many spells they have left for GM records).
    - Have the player replace the text inside the first box labeled "uses" from "Level 3 Spell" to perhaps "Fireball" and proceed like normal.

I hope this answers your questions, and provides some assistance. If I didn't address something or you wish to know more about something, please ask.

3. Truwen

Truwen Member

Thanks edwardcd. Cleared up some things for me indeed. I like the ideas for spells, to break down the tedium. I will eventually have complete spell lists for the classes, but as a short cut I will use your ideas for anything that happens to "come up."

Thanks again.

4. Wynter

Wynter New Member

Keep in mind that many people may have already typed in the data you are speaking of. Keep an eye on the User Content section of the forums for updated files.

5. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

You rock Curtis!