1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Use Bonjour on a LAN please

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Lonewolf, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Lonewolf

Lonewolf New Member

2. Lonewolf

Lonewolf New Member

If that is too complex how about a LAN cable between computers and no router?

I can go even lower tech.

3. Kizan

Kizan New Member

You'd have to use a crossover cable between Ethernet cards. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable) It's not impossible, but you'd still have to deal with IP addresses and firewalls and other such stuff. It's not just a serial cable that you can put a null-modem in the middle and call it all good.

Kizan

4. Kizan

Kizan New Member

While I really do see the appeal of Bonjour (I did part of my Masters work on ZeroConf for networking) most windows users don't install it. But the Mac OS uses it all the time to advertise services and there is a version (not well supported by Apple) for Windows the would make LAN use much easier. My guess is that the cost (i.e. time) to implement such a feature is too high for a sub-set of users that would use the feature. It's cheaper to work with users (in forums and email) and point users in that sub-set to a set of documentation about IP LAN's and firewalls. There are so many network variables that are far beyond the scope of their product (hence making Bonjour an interesting idea) even in a LAN setting.

Kizan

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I can never understand how people cry and moan about basic networking.. It's not complex, nor is it very convoluted.. In 95% of networks it is usually a very easy task.. you don't need 3rd party apps, nor do you need some kinda of magical knowledge.. If it's an ALL DAY thing, perhaps you should get someone else to do it and just buy them a pizza or a beer... :)

Open the firewall on the target machine for the app/port
    Open the port on the router and point it to said machine
    Give users either the lan or wan address of said machine

I can remember a time it seemed like you needed a BA in Electronics just to figure out how the read the silly little schematic to set the jumpers to install a com port..

I know, I am gonna get FLAMED for this.. I just don't get it...
    I saw someone the other day saying people should use Hamachi, why.. that's just silly..

6. neofax

neofax New Member

Why open all of these ports? Why not just make the software support UPNP so all of this is handled pretty much for you if implemented properly throughout the network(i.e. routers/software/switch)?