1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Critical Damage Multiplier error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Anazider, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Anazider

Anazider New Member

Since my group has been using, we've noticed that the critical damage multiplier does not always appear to function as intended. We've checked with our DM, and no damage reduction or other damage reducing effects are in play, but we consistently get damage that is half of what it should be for a critical. Any support that could be given in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Please list the example of how you feel it is not correctly calculating damage.

For instance

Weapon being used: dice damage, to hit and damage mods, crit multiplier, any effects applied, any sneak attack dice added, what type of enchantments are on the weapon, etc.

3. Tharck

Tharck New Member

I thought I had this problem once. Make sure that Slashing/Piercing/Blunt is the FIRST effect assigned to a weapon and not Silver/Good/Magic etc. The game will not double "Adamantine" for instance if its the first listed.

4. Anazider

Anazider New Member

The most recent case was for a 1d8 Warhammer, +12/+7 to attack, +4 damage, x3 multiplier. The warhammer is also Cold Iron. At the time, I believe those were the only modifications in effect, but this is a Paladin's weapon and sometimes it is used in conjunction with smite and divine bond. The paladin rolled two consecutive natural 20s on a full attack, and confirmed both, but rolled a 9 for damage on the first attack and I believe an 11 for the second. At the very least he should have had a 15 each time.

EDIT: My DM has confirmed that bludgeoning is the first damage type on the character's attack, so good advice Tharck but it does not appear to apply to this situation.

5. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Does the test creature have damage reduction?

Basically what is being said, is your DM is punching in 2x2 on a calculator and getting 5. Thus his set-up is wrong, or the test creature has a damage reduction and thus is throwing off your numbers. The information needed here is in the attack setting.

For a Cold-Iron Warhammer it should read something like this, left to right, in the attack tab.

To Hit | Name | Damage | Crit | Type | VS | +6/+1 | Style

+0 | Cold-Iron Warhammer | 1d8 Bludgeoning, Cold-Iron | Crit x3 | STR/STR| AC | Yes | One-Handed.

If that is set up correctly then the test creature has a damage reduction and thus your numbers are off.

Or - his copy of D20 Pro downloaded with a corruption inside of the critical hit multiplyer code (and only there), which might be possible I don't know for sure, but it would be highly unlikely. Like a calculator coming up with 5 when you enter 2x2.

If he would like I can log into his server tonight and check things over for him, and im more than happy to. Just send me a PM with the IP address and time. Im available anytime after 6:00pm CST.

6. ChrisRevocateur

Funny thing, I was just in here to report the EXACT same bug.

I think the problem is a legacy rule. Right now, as I understand it, the program rolls the dice twice (or however many times), and only adds things like str bonus and other bonuses once. I think this is how criticals worked in 3.0, but since 3.5 and beyond, critical hits now make you roll your whole damage twice, not just the dice.

I also noticed that the critical hit feature is rolling extra dice, like from shocking or psychokinetic twice, when THAT shouldn't be multiplied.

For now I guess a work around would be to up the damage by the total bonus amount for each critical hit. As for the extra dice damage, I wish that the actual die rolls on damage were visible, so you could manually take out the damage of the second die rolled. It would be even better if the critical hit only rolled the first damage code twice, and left all other dice damage alone, but changing how a feature works is harder than just bringing something in the background to the foreground, so I figure we'll see up front damage rolls before we see a revamping of the critical hit system.

7. ChrisRevocateur

Wait! I think I got it figured out. Because fire damage is usually not the source of an attack that can crit because it's a tag on like the flaming property, instead of being things like a bomb, where it is subject to multiplied crit damage, the fire damage type will not multiply on a critical hit in d20Pro. So from now on, I need to roll damage again and manually damage any creature hit by a critical of his, or I could just ask him to attack the target again, and fudge it as a hit regardless of the roll.

Now the reason my soulknife's psychokinetic property is multiplying is because it is coded as untyped, because there is no "ectoplasmic" damage type in d20Pro, it's multiplying like a normal part of the damage. Maybe if I switch it to the psychic damage type it will code correctly.