1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

64 bit run issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golkiwu, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I just installed D20PRO on a new laptop (Win 7 premium 64) and It is telling me that "the computer is preventing D20PRO from writing to the file system". I have run this on another Laptop (Win 7 Pro 64) and never encountered this issue. Of course I have tried to run it as admin, and the 32 bit runs fine. Also, if I run it off of a thumb drive for 64 bit, it runs. Any Ideas? I am far from a computer newb, but I am apparently missing something. Any help is appreciated.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you starting from the BAT file or starting from the EXE file?

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am running it from the .Bat file. It brings it up like it is going to run, and then I get that message. As I said, it never happened that way on my other laptop.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

As a test...

What happens when you disable UAC altogether?

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Pardon my ignorance, UAC- User Account Control?

6. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

OK, with the UAC totally Disabled, it will run. But I do not want the UAC totally disabled. Any further suggestions?

7. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Does it make a difference if it's not installed in the default location?

8. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I don't quite understand this question. It is installed in the default location. If it is in reference to it running off of the thumb drive, I do not know. The thumb drive may not have the same access restrictions as the main drive as far as writing is concerned.

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

OK, since it works with UAC disabled...

Turn back on UAC, then make sure that CMD.EXE is set to run as admin.

10. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I did that, and it still gives me the error. I have tried running the .Bat file as admin, and it gives me an error for the Java Virtual Machine : Unable to access jarfile d20Pro.dat. I am running the same Java as on the other machine (6-22). A search for this d20Pro.dat results with it not found.

11. Wynter

Wynter New Member

If the program is installed into a folder other than the Windows default folders (Program Files, Windows, etc.), then you should be able to leave UAC on and and the program should be able to run outside of UAC.

12. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I did notice the diffrence in the installation folders this week. I will move the installation folders and see if that does it. Thanx!

13. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

This worked like a charm. To anyone out there with a Windows 64 bit OS, definitely change the destination folder to be not the Program Files or Program Files (x86).

Thanks all for the feedback. I grew a new wrinkle in my brain! :D