1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

v3.0...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zug, Aug 3, 2011.

1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Currently testing beta 9.

2. firebringer

firebringer Member

Is there a finalized list of features that are going to make it into version 3.0?

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

With nearly 10 beta tests this is gonna be the BEST VIRTUAL TABLETOP IN THE WORLD........Or a horrible flop.......Either way it looks to be a good time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :) :D :mrgreen: :lol:

4. phloog

phloog Member

At this point I think I have to ask: Will d20Pro v3 support games of 6th Edition D&D?

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

Kinda like the Diablo 3 game.......its coming.....we swear......Hehehehe... :D

6. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

Not to sound impatient, but...

I bought this software about a week ago and started building my campaign. Then my only "confirmed" (i.e. as enthusiastic as I am) player's computer fried, meaning we won't be starting for maybe another 2-4 weeks.
    I'm wondering now, are you guys getting so close to v3.0 that I should just wait a few days and use it instead, taking advantage of what will doubtless be a plethora of new and improved features (as hyped back at GenCon)? Or should I continue to plug away with d20Pro v2.4 and its tried-and-true (-and-now) goodness? Would I spend hours (the sum of several weeks' free time) learning campaign construction using tools that will soon(ish?) be obsolete?

I keep thinking things like, "Well, they're on beta #9! Surely it won't be much longer, and then it'll be so much cooler." Then I see earlier posts on this topic, and it's obvious that people have been thinking similar things for months.

7. ChrisRevocateur

I'm a player in a beta campaign, and i can tell you, the changes they're making will not make anything you do before it is released obsolete in the least. The tools that already exist aren't changing, they're just being made easier to use.

8. cyderak

cyderak Member

9. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

That's kind of what I meant to ask, though I didn't ask it very well.

I probably have about a month before my group is ready to play, and I don't usually get more than an hour or so of free time each day, so tools that save time are definitely good. I'm sure that if I wait and use v3.0, it will be much easier (and presumably less time-consuming) to craft my adventure. My real question is this: "Are we close enough to a 3.0 release to justify waiting?"

So, in essence:

10. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would say, continue developing your campaign in v2.4. When v3.0 is released you simply use the updater and everything will continue to work.

Regarding ETA for release for v3.0, a developer would be best at answering that question. Just note that this is a free update for those who already have full licenses where it adds some features requested on the forum, fixes issues raised on the forum, improves some features which were requested on the forum, and adds a content marketplace for publishers to deliver electronic content for d20Pro.

We are currently testing beta 10. And just to give perspective in the amount of programming and testing involved ... from v2.3 >> v2.4; v2.4 had 4 beta versions before it was released.

11. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

Awesome. Thanks.

So, just to make sure we're all on the same page...
    2.4v - 2.3v = 0.1v
    4ß / 0.1v = 40ß/v
    3.0v - 2.4v = 0.6v
    0.6v * 40 ß/v = 24ß
    (where v = version units and ß = betas)

By my unquestionable mathematical reasoning, this means we're almost halfway to version 3.0. We still have a while before all 24 beta tests are complete.

12. ChrisRevocateur

I've only played around with the GM version a little bit, but honestly, it doesn't look like it's gonna be notably less time consuming. A bit, yeah, but it seems they're focusing on other features with this release. I'd do as Curtis mentioned, and just start using 2.4 to build your campaign.

13. cyderak

cyderak Member

The forums give insight into what players (consumers who buy the software) think would make the software better. ]

Thus selling more copies of D20Pro and making MindGene more money.

So in essence MindGene is getting free market research via a feature suggestion forum like this.

I remember suggesting a content marketplace and giving links to Battlemap cartography websites and artists links to make the decision easier.

Your Welcome.........Hehehehe....... :D

14. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

Could anyone tell us, perchance, whether one of those features might be a way to manage spell effects more easily? Manually setting up the functionality of every spell for each creature is a little painstaking, and the alternative (simply burning the spells and adjudicating the effects) doesn't seem any better.

15. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I wish a better way to manage spell effects more easily was slated for v3.0, however, that was not an objective for the v3.0 release. Though, it is high on the feature enhancements list down the road.

16. Remaker

Remaker Member

This is the number one item on my wish list right now. Just being able to save duration and DC to specific files would be a big plus. But what I would really like to see is a more flexible system where spells dynamically look up the character's stats and autocalculate the numbers, sort of like how attacks and damage are already handled.

The other big thing is the ability to pre-define templates. Using the template tool to assign spell targets is a huge pain. We almost never do it. The order of operations is confusing, and if you do it wrong, it doesn't work. It also forces you to drill through multiple sub menus and have tons of windows open while you are trying to aim the spell. Ideally, I'd just like to fill in a box under the Fireball spell effect that says 'Burst, 30' radius' and have the template autoselected whenever someone casts the spell.

Maybe in the future, after the fundamentals are taken care of, spells could be given tags (like Fire, Invocation, etc) that could be crossed-checked with similar tags on the character's feats/items, allowing for automatic usage of Spell Focus feats and the like.

17. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Fireballs are 20ft radius.

18. Remaker

Remaker Member

shows how often I play wizards :lol:

But seriously, I want a better magic UI even more that dynamic fog of war. I also think (perhaps naively) that it would cost much less development resources to implement.

19. ChrisRevocateur

I agree that I want better magic/abilities/effects/spells user interface before I want FoW. The ability to (efficiently) have an archive of spell effects that allowed for the resource management of spells to be taken care of in program would speed up games and increase flow far more than dynamic FoW would for me.

20. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

From what I understand, dynamic fog of war isn't one of the features in this update, either.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm sure they'll have all kinds of cool stuff in this, in addition to the downloadable content.