1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

PNG or JPG for faster performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, Dec 2, 2011.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Hey all,

We've got a weekly Pathfinder game going that includes 4 players connecting to a GM's machine (mine). I'm wondering if there is a difference in performance whether I import maps as .jpg or .png? By 'performance' I mean how can I minimize the hourglass effect before map updates get to my players' machines? Currently I'm using .jpg and I'm noticing a significant update delay (re: hourglass) as I move tokens around my maps. I'm on a Windows 7 (64 bit) machine with 6 GB of RAM, with a cable modem connection. When d20Pro hourglasses my other online apps (Ventrilo and IE) don't show any appreciable slowdown (ping time doesn't change noticeably).

I guess basically I'm wondering if there is a list of tips for streamlining performance on a GM's machine (should I be doing a forced garbage collection, etc. etc.)?

Thanks,

Firebringer

2. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

How large are your map files? I remember reading on the forums that if you create a map from the clipboard it is huge compared to one you create from a file. Try editing your maps in Gimp or Photoshop or any photo editing software to reduce the file size and see if that helps.

-Fred

3. ROB_IN_MN

ROB_IN_MN New Member

Import your maps as JPG files. PNG files will be MUCH bigger. PNG files support transparency, so I really only use them for tokens that don't have a filled in background on them. Things like the realistic looking, top down monsters you can find on the web i you look around a bit.

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

In a nutshell, it isn't you, it is your players.

The hourglass is player dependent in the games I run. It is almost always the guy on a basic DSL line, as I am a cable user and have a slightly beefier system than yourself. The JPG thing will help the load time as ROB_IN_MN stated. I usually have a 10-15 min down time once all of the players on on, and I open up all of the maps that I plan to use that session, one at a time, in order to have them all pre-loaded on each player's machine. Once that is done, game play is fast, as we are not waiting on maps to load anymore.