1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Critical Hits: Damage Type

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mandos, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Mandos

Mandos New Member

We noticed during our session last night that critical hits aren't being calculated properly, and after experimenting for a while, I think it's because I made the damage type "magic" for these attacks.

For example, Monk (6), and I made her attacks "magic" because monk attacks at that level bypass magic DR, so her unarmed attack is 1d8+4|magic (base damage 1d8, +4 Str mod). So her minimum damage on a confirmed crit should be 10 [(1+4)+(1+4)]. But I just rolled a confirmed hit for her that was a 5. So it looks like D20pro isn't rolling twice and adding modifiers each time. From searching these forums, I THINK that only bludgeoning/piercing/slashing attacks get calculated as critical hits.

1) Is the above correct?

2) If so, how do I make, for example, a monk's unarmed attack damage type "bludgeoning" while still make it a "magic" attack for the purposes of bypassing magic DR?

2. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Derrrrr. I see that I can make a single attack multiple kinds of damage.

3. Dragonmaster13

When adding the differnet damage types, do them in this order and the criticals will roll properly.

Damage type (Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing/etc.), Material (Adamantine/Cold iron/Mithral/etc.), then Magic.

4. Mandos

Mandos New Member

I see--thanks!