1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Changing where campaigns are saved to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mortalsavior, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mortalsavior

mortalsavior New Member

Hey guys do you know how I can change where the software saves campaigns folders? I ask because I use two pcs, one to create and one to run. I need it to save to my dropbox folder, and then the other would load from the same dropbox folder. I know that in dropbox i can change which folder but then everything is put in a folder called dropbox (so dropbox/campaigns/etc..). which d20pro probably wouldn't like. I looked through the registry and only came across installdir but that isn't what i'm looking for right?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Is there a way to setup your dropbox in a way it shares the same directory as your campaigns directory for d20Pro? If so, I think that's the way to do it.

Note: the registry entry is for the uninstaller

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Not sure how much room you have in your dropbox folder, but you could just drop your entire d20Pro install in there.

Right now though, there isn't any way to change where d20Pro looks for it's campaign folders. It's certainly something we can add to our feature request list though. If you have a minute, maybe hop on over to our Google Moderator page and submit the suggestion there, that helps us gauge community desire for some suggestions and also other users might have have other features to add to this suggestion.

4. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

I just posted the following feature suggestion:

"Allow user to specify file paths for all program files and all data files. This would allow installation on Dropbox or on non-C:/ partitions. Ideally this should be settable at install and changeable from within the application."

For all of us that NEED this functionality, please feel free to expand on this here in case I wasn't clear.

I am not a registered d20 user. The program works quite well, is consistent, is intuitive and is being actively improved. It's sad that this one simple thing prevents me from purchasing the program. I'm testing a two installs to DropBox (for local laptop/monitor setup with GM and player views) but I can already see that it will not be sustainable as I add more campaign files and maps unless I start renting space.

Thank you for being open to user suggestions.

5. mortalsavior

mortalsavior New Member

Thank you all! yeah I ended up doing the same thing. Installed to drop box folder. Had second pc reinstall to drop box too so it would have the proper registry set up (that makes sense right?). As far as moving where drop box syncs to/from it drops a folder in there called drop box so it would require some editing anyways. The set up works and currently I'm using 3% of my free space allotment. So for now its fine but it did really hurt me to have folders and files synched that will never need to be. I tried using drop box's selective synch feature but it actually deletes the items in the folder that aren't going to be synched.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for submitting the issue to feature suggestions!

On a site note I just dropped FG2 for d20pro. It works a lot better in my opinion and for more then half the price. That being said FG2 has this capability in place already, albeit the rest of the software isn't worth fighting with for that little perk lol.