1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

GC and Memory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LordValerius, Feb 4, 2012.

1. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

Ok, so I am checking the Memory in Options and it jumps around worse than a World of Warcraft noob. Performing a GC doesn't seem to affect the numbers very much at all. Sitting still doing nothing, with no one connected and removing loaded maps one by one has not done anything in regards to how much memory is being used at any given time. Maybe there are factors that I am not aware of, but what is the point of GC and Updating memory if nothing ever changes? (Other than the wildly fluctuating memory numbers just from hitting Update Memory). I have memory allocated out to 1024 in D20Pro and Java and am launching the program via a bat file. I have 5 maps that are 1.9MB in size loaded into the program with a current total of 18 various tokens. It reports the following; Upper Memory Limit - 910.25MB, Total Memory Allocated - 711.25MB, and Current Memory Used 389MB. Do these numbers make any sense with what I have loaded?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated in helping me understand the point.

Thanks!

LordV

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The Current Memory Used represents the total data/images in its' uncompressed form which makes sense for what you have currently open.

The Upper Memory Limit is the total memory allocated to Java/d20Pro.

Usually the slow down occurs when those two memory numbers are really close together. Thus, there may be another issue causing the slow down.

Can you describe what happens when it slows down? Are there any background apps running taking up processor power? Are you also downloading large files? Etc.

3. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

Hmm...well, I usually have Firefox open with 4 or 5 tabs...Ventrilo running....Hero Lab running...a text document open...Yahoo Messenger.....That's about it.

LordV

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Found it:
    Kidding...

Without knowing more it's hard to say.

What specifically do you see that is taking the longest time? Are you zoomed really close to the map? How long does it take to move a creature on the map? How long does it take to submit an attack? If you click on the map once then press Control+d does it instantly show or hide the core dice window?

5. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

I appreciate your humor =) Got a laugh from that...Anyway, I think I need to do some more testing...I've figured out the whole GC and Memory update thing...and the program worked well this weekend during our game...No odd disco's and map freezing...Might have just been an internet belch last time....I will monitor the slowness/lag issues and see if I can get some better info.

Thanks for the assist...You are always extremely helpful.

LordV