1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge: Create Your Ideal VTT

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by edwardcd, Nov 29, 2011.

1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

So, here's my challenge to you:
    Create a list of the best features you've found in all the VTT's you have tried out, and tell us how you would improve upon them to make it even better (if you haven't found a feature in any other VTT that you would like, name it and describe how to use it). This would be what you would want to see in your ideal VTT.

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

My ideal VTT:
    Taking into consideration that i use VTT's on a projectable game table: http://cyderak.deviantart.com/art/Compl ... -217046815 my ideal features would be geared twards the development and evolution of my game table.

My Ideal features:
    --A simplified battlemap system like Battlegrounds. (But i am willing to deal with the existing system if that means the marketplace is working)
    --An Aethetically pleasing user interface that is easily navigated. BUTTONS would include Battlemaps.....Monsters.......NPC's ......Objects.......Items.......Initiative......Spell Templates....Fog of War. (No other functions, Just those)
    --THUMBNAILED Battlemaps!!
    --Monsters.......NPC's ......Objects.......Items.......Initiative......Spell Templates are all able to be rotated.
    --Spell graphics inside of the spell template perameters so spells effect can be kept track of.
    --A movable user interface that can be relocated anywhere within the parameters of the D20Pro software.
    --A drag and drop Sound board where all you'd have to do is download some sound effects and then drag and drop them right into the D20Pro soundboard.
    --A visual initiative tracker with a library of avatars to represent each player and monster in initiative.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Other than that I think these are some of the features I think would be great.

:D

3. ROB_IN_MN

ROB_IN_MN New Member

I think D20pro's "market leading features" are, naturally, the d20 rules integration. That's why I bought it. I have several players who are playing for the story, not the rules - they hardly know the rules.

what I'd most like to see are functioning spell effects. I would like to see some functionity that lets me select a character, the select a spell for that character to cast (as it currently works) and have d20pro automatically assign the effects and saving throws based on the character's stats. The damage dice, higher int means higher saving throw DC, everything. Also I'd love to see d20pro automatically handle stat changes that affect hit points and saves. If i go in and change a characters constitution, it'd be nice to see his fort save and hp going up.

I realize that VTTs typically don't automate a lot of that stuff, but the fact the d20pro DID automate some of it was what really drew me to it.

And of course, fog of war:) but seroiusly, I'd rather have the spell effects than FoW.

4. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I've only got a few thing that I really WANT the app to do. In the list of User Needs

Need - defined as this product is really lacking for my use
    - Multi-monitor support - The ability for child menu's to exist outside the parent window - This especially drives me nuts.
    - Custom Grid alignment - Bring in new maps and allow me to move individual tines/spars of the grid to match my out of scale scanned map.
    - Clean up/document and implement keyboard shortcuts for actions and allow me to hide the menu interface (or at least make it very minimal)
    - Document Document Document - the docs are in sore need of updating. Too many of my questions that should have been answered from the manual weren't there. Thankfully the forums saved me, usually a kind forum member (I'm looking at you Curtis) would point me in the right direction.

Want - defined as it would be nice but other things bug me more.
    - Dynamic FOW would be nice
    - Better FOW painting and removing
    - Chat font resize
    - Options to point the app at my map folder rather than having to move it into where d20Pro can "see" it. BTW I tried it once with all my maps and the app croaked on me cause there were too many files.
    - I'm sure there are others as I have many posts either asking a why a feature was implemented a certain way or asking for a new feature.

Kizan

5. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Some great suggestions here. Thanks edwardcd for starting this thread and Kizan, ROB_IN_MN, cyderak for posting.

We just deployed Google Moderator to better track (and give you the ability to submit and vote) feature requests. Please read more here:
    http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1510

6. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Sooo... When can I come over to game? Or better yet, can you build me one? How much? Damn, that thing is sexy.

7. cyderak

cyderak Member

Well..........It cost me about $3000.

But thats with:
    --The $1000 laptop (I wanted a good chunk of computing power and portability so I could disconnect it and take it around the house to create maps and adventure items)
    --The $800 HD Projector
    --I used hard wood (Oak) but you could get away with press-wood or plywood if looks aren't a concern.
    --Cup holders ($8 a peice x8 = $64)
    --Under cabinet lighting at $15 each x8 = $120 ( I use under cabinet lighting because the light I have in the basement happens to be right over the game table and it kind of washes out the projected image so I turn off the lights and use the under cabinet lights to see dice rolls....character sheets......etc.)
    --The 2 oil painting Art panels done by my friends fiance' cost $200 for the pair and worth every penny!!

All-in-all you could cut the cost down to about $500 or $700 if you already had some of the equipment (like laptop or projector) and went with cheaper materials.

I could build one.......it'd just take time, money, and you'd have to pick it up.