1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Ports on mac

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrillba, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

I have a mac running lion. The program works fine, unless I try to use a port that is very low in number.

I can use this port on a windows machine.

What is the issue.

I need to use port 53 if at all possible.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Port 53 is typically used for DNS. I would choose a different port.

3. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I suspect the Mac is reserving the low-end ports. As was mentioned, most of these are used in some basic/core internet services (DNS, telnet, ftp, http, etc.). I want to say anything above about 128 -should- be free, but I am not certain I remembered the right power of 2.

4. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

My issue is I use verizon wireless internet.

The old 3g stuff had basic port forwarding on it - any port I wanted to open. Their new stuff only has a list of basic things - DNS, http, stuff like that. I got d20 to work on port 53 on windows, but it keeps telling me that the others are in use on my mac.

Any ideas?

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Try port 80, 443, 8080, 8090. (web and secure related ports) (normally would want to assign a port above 1024).
    If you are utilizing Skype for your communication method, configure that to point to other ports.

Which 4G device are you using?

6. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

The problem is finding a port that mac does not use, that is in the range that is allowed to be forwarded.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If your device has a listing of common server applications (in the port forwarding section in the configuration), see which ports they use and activate one from the list. Then use that port for d20Pro. (this is assuming your device doesn't allow you to add to that list).

Also, have you tried calling Verizon Customer Support and saying you are trying to play a game which requires an open port and ask them how to configure the device? You'll have to tell someone your internet connection device and what exactly you have tried to gain more help.

8. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

I have tried the port thing, I did not have time to test every port. I did just win a device that I am about to change my internet to that will allow me to forward ports so I will try that.

The main problem is that mac reserves a lot of the common ports.

Verizon is absolutely no help. I told them the issue and they keep telling me that I can connect and data is going back and forth so it works. They are a bunch of idiots and will not even listen.