1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Potential New User - d20Pro vs. FG - Which to Choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NWNDM, Mar 22, 2012.

1. NWNDM

NWNDM New Member

Hey everyone.

I've DMed for over 25 years. Last 9 or so I've done the on-line iteration using NWN and NWN2.

I'd like to get away from those games because the toolset work required for an ongoing game really is starting to get beyond what my free time will allow.

Looking at on-line PnP style gaming options, I can find 2; d20 Pro and Fantasy Grounds.

I hope I won't be seen as a troll or disturber... I'm interested in knowing why people here think I should choose d20Pro as my platform over the other package.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello NWNDM -

There are quite a number of platforms you can use for online PnP style gaming. Personally, I own both of your options: d20Pro and Fantasy Grounds II.

One of the main reasons I choose to continue develop games on the d20Pro platform is MAPS.
    d20Pro allows each player connected to pan and zoom the map to their liking, and it's also very easy to switch between multiple maps. Also, with d20Pro you can create some neat map effects like hiding a secret door with a wall image over the secret door and only allow players to view the secret door when you hide the wall image layer (you can also create illusions this way such as an illusion of a bridge). Where as with FGII, the map is confined to the size and zoom setting that the GM sets.

Another main reason I choose to continue develop games on the d20Pro platform is CREATURES.
    d20Pro allows the GM to place both players and monsters on the map by click-drag from the creature library and place it anywhere on the map. It is slightly more involved with FGII.

Some cool features in FGII that d20Pro does not have, include:
    Full descriptions of all OGL content such as class progression or feat and spell descriptions.
    3D dice effects - FGII has the best looking dice in any Virtual Table Top.

Both FGII and d20Pro have a free trial period where you can demo the system. I would take advantage of that offer. When you are starting out, goto: http://help.d20pro.com/ and read the User Guide, then goto: http://help.d20pro.com/UGGPOverview.html and follow along to create some content.

You can also watch some actual game play of d20Pro here: http://youtu.be/sTTRQWxR0dE. While this is a player's viewpoint it will allow you to see what the player will.

You can also join a game and see how both systems operate as a player (using the Pathfinder Society Official Play)
    d20Pro games: http://dm-curtis.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pfsopgeneraldiscussion
    fg2 games: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

3. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

There aren't any perfect table top programs. None of them will do everything you want. You need to decide what is important for you and your players.

My bare minimum requirements were: support for Pathfinder ruleset, support for importable maps, combat automation and integration with Hero Builder. I planned to play games locally using a dual monitor setup only; but I am now considering adding some remote friends to tabletop sessions since d20pro is flexible enough to do both well.

Why did I pick d20pro? Excellent map interface that includes miniature movement, fog-of-war and adjustable map grids. Automated combat, save and skill rolls to speed up game play (this was essential since most of my players are clueless about the mechanics -- they want to roleplay, not spend hours in a turn-based combat simulator). Reasonable price. It imports from Hero Builder. A solid fan-built bestiary selection.

What HAS to be improved (IMNSHO)? Developer communication about what is being worked on, what isn't viable and what the time frames for updates might be. The spell system requires every GM to reinvent the wheel -- you have to create EACH spell for EACH level. These are the things that really made me think long and hard when considering which program to purchase. These are the things that will make or break this table top program this year because the other ones are very viable. That all said, I have faith that communication will improve dramatically and that the spell system issue will be resolved soon.

What would be nice but not essential (IMNSHO)? The graphics for the interface. Fluff things like rolling dice animations, skins for the tabletop, etc. Character sheet customization. Better map grid alignment that allows x and y axis to be adjusted more finely and separately. Implementation of many of the proposed ideas on the Google thingie.

What could I care less about? The market.

Your mileage may of course vary....

4. NWNDM

NWNDM New Member

Thanks to you both. I am still not sure which option gives me what I need, but I'll be looking through the demo period soon.

Would love to experience a game. Fingers crossed! :)

5. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Hi NWNDM, it's always great to hear we're on somebody's short list!

I'm obviously biased on this one (and if I were you, I'd rather have users sway me than one of the devs), so I'll just chime in on AEIOU's points on what we can improve. Communication from our team isn't as good as it has been in the past, except for edwardcd of course, and we're really trying to get back into the swing of that. As far as the spell casting and effects system goes, AEIOU is right on point and this is something we're working on addressing right now. We've gotten a lot of feedback about this and we're at the point right now where we're sitting down to start coding massive changes to the spell and effects system. I don't have a good list of what this all will include that I can share right now, but what AEIOU brought up about having to create the same spell over and over is a situation we have specifically used a part of our planning.

6. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

One more thing. Ease of use was a huge selling point for me too.

Setup for a new adventure is painless. Map import is simple. Character import takes no thinking. Dropping creatures on the map is fast. Moving miniatures is intuitive. Combat is amazingly fast with initiative, attacks and damage all taken care of efficiently. In other words, the mundane mechanics of games are all handled (with the glaring exception of spells/effects) by d20pro. We spend the majority of our time roleplaying rather than playing a miniature simulator which for me is really important.

Daggeth -- I know the devs are working on things to make our roleplaying more enjoyable. I didn't make my negative comments because I'm unhappy with d20pro. Quite the opposite really since I'm quite satisfied with the product.

7. NWNDM

NWNDM New Member

I don't have massive amounts of time to learn a hugely difficult program, so hearing about the ease of use and "jumping right in" is a big plus for me.

The lack of spells etc... natively in the current iteration of the software does make me pause however... but it's good to know this is already being worked on.

I have downloaded both demos... I must say that I am probably doing something wrong because there doesn't seem to be very much that can be done to actually see what the programs (both of them) can do. Probably I need to watch a video or two to figure it out.

Thanks again for all the feedback and information.

I'd love to be able to revisit my old Greyhawk campaign using 3.5e rules... fingers crossed.

8. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Ugh. Now you you had to talk about VTT videos. :|

I looked long and hard for actual game footage that showed actual content being used by actual people but none of the VTT's really offered any. I have to give d20pro credit for at least posting something.

However, while the d20pro promo videos show quite a bit about what the program can do, I didn't find them very helpful. They are slick marketing montages. A quick barrage of eye candy and feature lists. That said, now that I'm familiar with the program the videos make perfect sense and I can easily see the features they are selling -- but I know what I am looking at. As a complete newbie, all I saw was a lot of flashing screens. I had to rewatch the videos several times, pausing frequently, to actually see what was offered.

Did you ask what I'd find more useful? :lol: Something that showed people actually using the tools. Dropping a huge dragon on a map. People chatting. Movement of mini's and revealing of fog-of-war. Combat. Skill checks and handouts. Flying and stealth. Running through some more combat and AoE's. Map scrolling and zooming. Shift back and forth between different d20 games. Seeing a live game with a projector or LCD. Seeing an online-only game. Seeing it being used at conventions.

The icing on the cake would have been a second video showing how to prep for a game session. Adding maps, and creatures, and fog-of-war, and and and....

9. NWNDM

NWNDM New Member

Agreed 100%.

10. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

A video tutorial of game preparation of one project would be quite long from start to finish (perhaps 2 hours with editing).
    A video tutorial of GM'n a game of what to expect during game play would be approx 30min long.
    A basic video tutorial would be approx 30min long.

Perhaps after my current work-load/project I may create some of these. What would you like to see first?

But more on topic to the original post, I was curious to see what responses were on the Fantasy Grounds forums and found some ill-informed posts which I will address below. You also will notice the level of thoughtfulness of the user base for which your question was answered. This also should play a roll in your selection, since a lot of times questions are answered by the community if it's not documented elsewhere.

First I'll address the comments that yield merit as brought up on the FGII forums:
    1) d20Pro was written with a system based on the d20 model of gaming. This includes, but is not limited to: d20____ (fill in the blank) utilizing some variation of 3.0 OGL, 3.5 OGL, or Pathfinder OGL natively. D&D 4.0 can be used with some modifications. It is true, that FGII currently supports more game systems than d20Pro, but having d20Pro focus on d20 games is an advantage for those GM's and gamers' who run or play a game based on the d20 system.

2) Yes, FGII does have the best dice feel since they are 3-D models rolling around on the screen and have some physics in how it rolls. Whereas d20Pro focuses on other aspects of game-play and automation and leaves the dice a randomly rolled result. We believe after the initial stage of rolling lots of dice on FGII most people moving to d20Pro won't really miss it compared to the other features d20Pro has over FGII.

Now I'll address the comments that the poster isn't as well-informed about the process as they state:
    1. Maps. The GM can have as many maps loaded as their system can handle (the limit is how much RAM you are currently allocating to Java/d20Pro). It is true that players can only see one map at a time (as dictated by the GM), but this allows each player to zoom in on the map and pan around to already explored areas of the map individually. GM's and players have greater control of the map in d20Pro than with FGII.

2) Handouts. Handouts are similar to maps in that the player can view only one at a time, but the player can alternate what handout they view by selecting the tab they wish. Think of it like any modern web browser with each tab a different handout. You can always flip back to any other tab to view the other handouts that were given to you.

FGII opts to give you any handout shared with you that occupies the view or "work space." So, if you were given 10 handouts, you would have 10 open windows sharing space in your view or "work space" which can quickly add up to a cluttered look.

d20Pro opts to give you any handout shared with you in a single tab'd view where you can select which handout you wish to look at individually, where you then can zoom in or out and pan the image to your liking. Each player controls how they view each handout. So, if you were given 10 handouts, you would have 1 open window with 10 tabs where you can alternate the tabs or you can hide the window for future reference.

3) Character Sheets. Both with d20Pro and FGII you can roll from your character sheet.

FGII you will drag a number from your character sheet (next to whatever attack/ability check/skill check/damage roll/caster level/etc you are trying to accomplish) then drag it out to the game log (if you selected your target. If you have not selected your target, you will drag the roll onto the creature) where you will then make your roll. If it's an attack, you will then have to go back to your character sheet to find the damage and roll that on the game log. Then the final step would be to drag that damage result onto affected creature (if you don't have the creature selected). FGII tries to make this easier by offering a line of shortcuts on the bottom of the work space.

With d20Pro you can accomplish the same task with less mouse clicks/drags or keys pressed in less time...
    To attack: click on your character and press "A" for Attack. Pick your attack, enter any bonuses granted then press ok. Then click on your target. The attack roll and associated damage roll will be auto calculated and applied to the specified creature. Alternatively, you can use the right-click menu and select the "Attack" option. If your attack option has multiple attacks it will auto calculate each attack bonus and all the person needs to do is select the creature you are attacking with a single mouse click per attack. Thus, I would press "A", select the attack with 3 attacks, then click ok, (a selection tool will appear) I would then click once for the first target, click again for the second attack's target, and click again for the third attack's target. In this example, I would click 6 buttons (within 4 seconds for 3 attacks) and I'd be done. Then, if I do that attack option repeatedly, I can simply press the repeat attack command "Q" for Quick Attack then select which targets I wish to attack (4 buttons pressed within 2 seconds for 3 attacks).

To roll ability checks: From the Edit/View creature window (the character sheet), I would click on the red buttons such as "STR" or "DEX" or etc, and d20Pro will roll an ability check and the result will be displayed in the game log.

To roll skill checks: From the Edit/View creature window (the character sheet), "Skills" Tab, I would double click on the die icon next to the skill and d20Pro will roll a skill check and the result will be displayed in the game log. You can even setup 3 keyboard commands for your top 3 skill checks. Those keyboard commands will share the comma "," period "." and backslash "/" keys for the three skills you choose. This can be setup in the GM's Options Window, and each Player's Options Window. Each person can setup their own skills for which skills they use most.

To roll saves: simply click your character and press "F" for Fort Save, "R" for Reflex Save, or "W" for Will Save. Alternatively, you may open your character sheet and press the red buttons. Each way the result will be displayed in the Game Log.

11. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Some snips of a game in process showing the mechanics in use. Show several different encounters including different creature sizes. Show fudging rolls. How to create and use healing spells, direct damage spells, buffs and AoE's. (The spell system implementation isn't BAD per se, it's powerful but requires a bit more planning and work on the GM's part -- what it really needs is being able to create a library of spells similar to the community bestiary). It could be interesting to run some of the combats manually and time with/without d20pro. Finally, please please please use modules,maps, minis available through the online store. Use the video to advertise both d20pro and the extra add-ons at the same time. Show us what custom built VTT material should look like!

And thank you for the information on FG. I thought it was a very fair assessment and response.

12. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Hey NWNDM, I read your post and had to chime in.

I casually was researching Virtual Table Tops a year or so ago, and did a pretty deep investigation into the tools and products available. Like you, I ended up looking closely at Fantasy Grounds and d20Pro, comparing and contrasting them. Recently, I decided to go ahead and jump in and purchase one (both have trials available, and both have a pretty supportive community supporting each product).

However, as you expressed, it's hard to get a feel how these platforms work just "researching' or looking at them somewhat casually. I've always learned best by reading about something and then trying to do it, and that's a bit difficult without a few spare people to put up with you while you struggling learning the mechanics of the program.

You fire up the trial and you're just met with a blank screen and some icons that must mean something about something. :shock:

I've pretty much figured out there's going to be a very steep learning curve associated with VTTs, regardless. VTTs are very much labors of love for the developers (they aren't going to sell 5 million copies of them, and they realize that), but I think sometimes the devs forget how very alien their environments look to folks just checking them out for the first time.

I just purchased my license for d20Pro an hour or so ago, and I know it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle until I'm comfortable with both the environment (making sure I've got the right ruleset / whatever it's called loaded up and available), and how to manage my assets (how to get my pretty maps and characters all loaded up into the environment).

Why d20Pro? A combination of what were more important features to me, how I've seen both programs change over the course of a year (just looking in at them from the outside, not being an active user), and d20Pro's user guide.

I posted a question over a year ago here on forums (because I was confused as all get-out, surprise surprise), and not only was my question quickly answered on the forums, it was also incorporated into the user guide.

Regardless, good luck with your search. I think you'll be well-served with either of these products, but I voted for one with my gold pieces. :D

-- Andy

13. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Curtis,

I'd love to see all three of these, but I realize how horribly long these must take to produce. A game-prep video would best serve me at this time, given a choice.

I've watched some pretty painful videos the past few weeks checking out VTTs. Role-playing in person can be wince-worthy if you're not sitting at the table and participating (everyone's style's so very different, both players and referees), and even some of the videos I've watched purporting to help explain the functionality of the VVT environment or tools can be hard to suffer through if the host is rambling, or gets a bit lost, or forgets where they put which file, etc.

All those semi-mean things typed though, I'm pleased folks take the time to share their sessions and offer tutorials / walk-throughs with others. And even on YouTube (a "hive of scum and villany" ;) ) I never disliked a video or left any snarky comments. A lot of work goes into even the simplest tutorial, and I respect those efforts.

-- Andy

14. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy,

What types of game would you like to see as the game-prep video? Perhaps a game from a PDF?

I'm making a list of videos that need producing (everything that AEIOU stated is on the list). Then once I'm done with my current projects I'll tackle the video tutorials on the list. And these videos will be scripted (aka, no random rambling or getting lost or forgetting file placements) and edited for time and content (aka, no one likes watching the hourglass[​IMG] or spinning wheel [​IMG]).

15. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Curtis,

The game preparation tutorial (in the user guide) is pretty much exactly what I'd like to see in a game-prep video (I'll actually be working my way through it today!). It's what benefits me at this point in learning the software: simple instructions (do this, then that ... with just a bit of the "why") to help me get up to speed using the software.

I think NWNDM was pointing out up-thread that while there are some very nice marketing videos for d20Pro, I haven't discovered any "Two-Minute Tutorials" in video format just quickly showing some of d20Pro's features / abilities. I think those would benefit folks trying to compare and contrast Virtual Tabletops (as well as help new users grasp the fundamentals in quick, easy-to-digest and process bits).

Thank you for all your help,

-- Andy

16. JefA

JefA New Member

I actually bought both and modules for both to get use to how they work
    FG I have had a long time D20Pro comparatively recently..I find FG2 prettier nice rolling dice..all SRD doc of OGL available inside may even be more finished....and just too bit picky to quickly add people maps charas npcs handouts....FG2 i found had a steep leaning curve..D20 pro is more intuitive.. it flows better games run faster players can move maps and look at diff stuff to me The actual game play seems to run more quickly since I switched over with my hybrid 3 remote 3 local player game

But yes still work to do. New FOW is great. Some people have done a lot of bestiary and map importing thats super but spells have to be individ set up and hro lab has problems importing some of the wierd class feats i check the imported toon back to the pdf i print from HeroLab couple of very minor errors and frankly i often ignore them for Gameflow

What might make it easier to start a single map one off encounter bundled with game to show straight off how it works. Yes its got an easier learning curve.. but its a really good idea to read the manual. Unfortunately i was brought up in a boyish owrm (only wimps read manuals) environment closely related to boys dont ask for directions... and that slowed me down at first.

Still doubtless I've learned nothing from this :(