1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Local Games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dtougas, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dtougas

dtougas New Member

I am currently not a licensed user, but I am considering purchasing the software. I am also considering learning MapTool.

It would appear from all of the documentation, that d20pro is largely targeted at network gaming. I don't see much mention anywhere of using it as a tabletop for a local game. I have started playing PathFinder with my kids, and I am looking for tools to make my job as the GM easier. I would like to find a VTT software package that makes it easy to draw maps and display player movements on an external screen (I use a Mac).

We will usually only have one computer (the GMs) at the table. The users will not be controlling the movement of their characters, or their actions. Is d20pro suited for this task? Or is it better suited for a scenario of networked computers?

2. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

My first session using d20pro was for my son's birthday party. Five players and myself. I used the GM client on my laptop for maps and all combat tracking. I also launched a player client on my laptop and connected a second monitor to it which displayed the player's view of the world. They told me where they wanted to move and what to attack as I narrated the storyline. They had a blast.

It works VERY well in a local setting.

3. dtougas

dtougas New Member

Do you have to use all of the features like the combat tracking feature? Or can you just turn on/off features as you need them?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Just use the features that you want. Even if you just use d20Pro just as a map and electronic mini's and their placement, you could do that.

5. JefA

JefA New Member

I use it for a hybrid game....i have 3 players scattered by time over the uk.. and 3 that play at my home

The ones in Scotland and Lancashire use their own pcs and player licenses
    the local London ones 2 share a player client on my laptop and the third brings his own laptop around my actual tabletop

We talk over Skype conference so everyone can talk and hear each other.. at least when not shouting at each other cause they are plonkers/ stupid/ chicken or whatever. Works just like a tabletop session.. except i get less "how did he get from back to front of group" or "I didnt enter the room where the trap went off.. I was watching the corridor" etc etc

And because we mostly rely on the actual paper sheets for each chara there seems no drop in role playing and concentration on MMO combat only behavior.. they still want to talk and interact with the npc's