1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Map loading issues, need assistance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xellas84, Jun 17, 2012.

1. xellas84

xellas84 New Member

In our campaign it often takes 30+ minutes or more for our 3 players to end up loading all the map files every time our DM changes the map (which happens 4-5 times a session or more). Is there some way for us to use an outside system to download the maps and manually place them into the system folders? If so this would GREATLY accelerate our sessions.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The speed of load times is dependent upon:
    • Data size for all the images for a map (Map and Creature Images)
    • DM's UP internet connection speed.
    • Player's DOWN internet connection speed.
    • The number of players.

What the DM can do to make the load times shorter:
    The DM should reduce the file size of the images they use in their campaign (use compression when saving the image) and use JPG format when saving it inside d20Pro for all maps and images that do not need transparency.

Personal experience
    I try to keep file size of all images (maps, creatures, handouts, etc) as minimal as possible. I usually host games with 6 players and like to get started quickly. There is also a way to load maps while players are discussing a strategy or figuring out what they want to purchase in town. I simply broadcast the new map ahead of time (while they are still picking what they want to do or buy), to minimize interruptions or waiting for a map to load. Typically though, the maps I send my players all load within three minutes or less.

To directly answer your question
    To answer your question, there is not an easy way to package and send maps before hand where players could download and place on their computer for quick map changes. The best solution is to have the DM update their image files with smaller sized JPG images.

Word of Advice (for all new users)
    It's not uncommon that if the DM is making maps inside d20Pro using an image from the clipboard (copy-paste method) or from file (even if the original file is in JPG format), that the image is being saved in PNG format and over 100MB in size. Which is the most likely cause of your current long loading times when getting new maps from the DM.

3. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Would it be possible to change the default from PNG to JPG in a future build? Or make it user selectable? Or is there a reason PNG is the primary format?

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

It is already user selectable, you just have to remember to change the selection while creating the map.

5. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

I meant make the default user selectable....

6. JefA

JefA New Member

I don't have this problem with maps.. but do sometimes with handouts fo some bizarre reason.. . sometimes they don't even seem to go thru despite fairly quick Cable connections both ends.. probably my 30Mb down 3Mb up is the limiter in our group

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Here are two possible issues with solutions:

Java Version
    Errors with people receiving handouts is often due to the version of Java installed on your player's computers.
    Have your players all update to the most recent java version 6 update.

Handout Overload
    Too many handouts being sent out at one time.
    Make sure you have permissions on all your handouts set to no one. Then, set the permissions to the one handout you wish to send at that time.

8. templar12

templar12 Member

greetings! Pre-load your maps! There was a forum topic on this already, cant find it in forums at moment, but in short...load your map on your Judge computer. Use another to log yourself in as player. Load all maps to the 2nd computer. Disconnect. Go into the player computer mindgene> d20pro folders, it will be a long file name...ultimately under the FLR folder.. pull those .dat files, email those .dat files to your players, have them open up their folders and copy into them. Voila! Instant load of large maps. I use dropbox and all players download as directed, updated.

9. templar12

templar12 Member

The Player option string where maps found is something like this:
    c:>program files>mindgene>d20Pro>player>campaigns>somecrazylongnumericalstring>res>FLR>0> .dat files