1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fog of War in 3.2: What does locking a region accomplish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uthin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Uthin

Uthin New Member

Hi,

I am a new user (Mac OS X 10.7, java 1.6.0_33) and loving the program. But some things still puzzle me. One thing is what locking a region when applying Fog of War to a map accomplishes. When the region is locked, I can still:

Delete the region.
    Rotate the region.
    Scale the region.
    Edit the region's shape.
    Show/Hide the region.
    Move figures to and from the place in the map below the region

I can think of nothing else to try to see what locking accomplishes... Please educate me.

Best regards,

Uthin

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: Fog of War in 3.2: What does locking a region accomplish

The Lock simply locks the placement of the FoW polygon outside the Edit mode (If you enter Edit mode you may move the placement).

3. Uthin

Uthin New Member

Hi Curtis,

In that case, is there not a usability concern here? Regions can have some of their attributes changed even when not in Manipulate/Edit mode? At least the way I see it. I had expected the Lock to mean "now this region is frozen and can not be altered in any way (with the exception being - of course - visibility)".

I have created some regions with quite a few knots. It has happened a few times that I accidentally have clicked and moved one of these regions when in Edit mode. Since it seems d20Pro lacks an undo feature for such occurrences as well as a lock feature that still allows editing even when not "freed", I am forced to reconnect every single knot to their previous locations by hand.

I am sure I am not the only one finding this extra work tedious and unnecessary. ;) I know, I could just have NOT moved the stupid region in the first place, but some of us do have more than the regurlarly allotted amount of thumbs, even when working with a computer mouse. :mrgreen:

I did a search on the feature requests board but couldn't find anything regarding this. Do you know if the above is slated for fixing, or should I go and make this a feature request?

Best regards,

Uthin

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Uthin,

Yes, I've actually done that myself... luckily I was easily able to move the FoW Polygon back to its' original position (this was a background FoW polygon, so it had roughly 90+ knots.). Since it's not just me who thinks way (locked FoW Polygons should lock all manipulate/edit/scale/rotate/etc. where the only thing you can do is change visibility status), I'll run it across the others.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

That would be fantastic and make a lot more sense!