1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Slow startup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daeruin, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Hi there. Lately d20pro has been taking a looooong time to load games. This morning when I started up, I logged in as judge and selected my campaign. From there, it sat there loading for well over 5 minutes. This has happened the last three or four times I've tried to log in. Before that it was quite fast, maybe 10 seconds. Any idea what's going on?

2. Montis

Montis New Member

did you happen to load the bestiary files into your campaign?

for me d20pro always takes about a minute to load, but then I have many maps and creatures (and creature pictures!) in my library, so my campaign folder is about 300MB. I think d20pro checks all files before starting or something like that.

3. Entola

Entola Member

If you delete the Bestiary Maps and only load them when you need them. Also, close any maps that you are no longer using. I only have up the map that the current game it on and the next map that we are going to use. I load the bestiary maps and save the NPCs to the library on an as needed basis, then close the bestiary when I'm done.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, d20Pro categorizes all resources when it starts up. Thus, having a small campaign file size will greatly reduce start-up times. I currently have 1.45 GB for my Pathfinder (PFS) directory and it takes a few minutes for it to start-up.

Additional Info (for others who browse this forum)
    This start-up time is only for the GM/Judge. Start-up time for Players depend on internet connection speed and the amount of data needing to be sent from the GM/Judge to each Player who logs into the game.

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I almost forgot that I made this post. Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't have the bestiary maps open. I imported all the creatures a long time ago and then closed the map and have never opened it again. It's still in my library, but not open.

I have had several maps open. We're running the Kingmaker campaign, so I generally keep the big overhead map and their city map open along with whatever encounter they're doing at the time. It hasn't been a problem before. Does it make a difference if the maps are open or not? I don't think I added much lately, but I haven't been paying much attention.

6. Entola

Entola Member

If you have the entire Bestiary loaded that might be part of the problem. I recently loaded an entire module worth of NPCs from Hero Labs and noticed my load time increased.