1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Path - Archetypes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frodie, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Frodie

Frodie New Member

Hey,

I am working on files for the Modern Path for d20pro. I know Hero Lab works well for this, but what is the best way to include archetypes. In the Modern Path, there is only one class, "Modern Hero", and the archetypes all have thier own class features: i.e. hit dice, attacks, saves etc.

So what is the best way to add the archetypes? Should they go into the class file?

Thank you!

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The base files can be found on this forum topic: http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=588#p8010

If you'd like the ability to edit those files, please send me a Private Message with your email address you registered with Google (Google login required).

Since d20Pro does not enforce Hit Dice/Hit Points or Saves based on class level, there is no need to edit the class file to reflect those changes. However, it does rely on the class and level to determine Base Attack Bonus, spells per day (if any), and spell list (if any).

If you have any questions and would like to know how I would setup a particular class, or archetype, give a link to the archetype and I can use it as an example.

3. Frodie

Frodie New Member

Thank you, the Modern Path srd is at: www.d20modernpf.com/, but the sever is having issues at the moment.
    I have the base class in, but the archetypes have an effect on the base attack and saves. What do you think is the best way to get this to work?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

How does the archetype affect the Base Attack Bonus? Does it follow a normal multiplier base per level gained? If so, use the Base Attack Bonus (BaB) at level 20, then divide that number by 20. That final number is what goes in AttackRate=. So, a normal Fighter class would have a BaB of 20 at level 20, thus the AttackRate=1. If it does not follow a normal multiplier base per level gained then simply use the "Override BaB" option in the General Tab when you are editing a creature and place the creature's BaB for it's current level.

5. Frodie

Frodie New Member

The archetypes have the normal progression but are differnt for each archetype

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, you have two options.
    1) Edit the classes.txt file and make an entry for each archetype indicating the correct progression in the base attack bonus.
    or
    2) Use the override BaB and manually enter the Base Attack Bonus for each creature.

It's up to you which one you want to use.

7. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

having done this for d20modern, I suggest Curtis' first option... it will work better for you in the long run...

Also PF Modern is fairly diferent than d20modern, so I would start from scratch rather than trying to adapt the files I made for d20modern...

8. Frodie

Frodie New Member

Cool, thank yall. I think I will do the info for each archetype. I do have a few other questions,(sorry new to d20pro): Skills -new craft, Perform and Profession.

I have this in the file: Craft (Electronic)|INT|Craft is that correct for all of them?

Also when I edit the class file, how should I input each class archetype? Something like:

## CLASS: MODERN HERO
    CreatureClass=Modern Hero (Engineer)
    AttackRate=.5
    GoodSaves=

9. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

skills are fairly easy..
    first position is the skill name (I'd avoid using spc characters if possible ()[]{} etc etc)
    second position is the linked attribute.. INT, DEX etc etc
    third position is the category in which it shows up when you right click you character and select skills.. You will want to keep this very limited to only a hand full of various needed cat or the list will end up being a real pain to find the skill you are looking for... in fact most of my players prefer to right click their character, select view, then the skills tab and roll their skills from there...

now as to classess.txt
    ## CLASS: DEDICATED HERO
    CreatureClass=Dedicated Hero
    AttackRate=.75
    GoodSaves=Fort|Will

the first and second line which name the class & hero type are very picky and no Spc characters should be used at all ()[]{}_- or anything..)