1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about Purcasing this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valtus3200, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Valtus3200

Valtus3200 New Member

However, as I no longer play D&D or Pathfinder, and am, instead, GMing and playing a character in a custom d20 RPG with its own unique rule book, would it be possible to use this software for that? It's based around Dragon Ball, and the rule book isn't complete.

Combat is done very differently from other types of games. Players get 4 Melee Basic actions (d20 +STR), 2 supers actions (energy based attacks that use 1d20 + CON for roll) or an ultimate action (takes up both super actions, and uses the same roll concept).

They also get movement actions, and 2 minor actions (for healing surges/ power up).

We've been doing this over a forum, using real dice, the honor system, and AIM's built in dice rolling code.

Do you think it would be possible make the game playable in d20pro? We're still play testing, so something like this would be amazing for that purpose.

2. Dragonmaster13

On the attack tab of the character you can chose which stat to use in the attack. You can use different stats for the attack and damage roll if you wished.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello Valtus3200,

The short answer to your question is: Yes, d20Pro would be compatible with your custom d20 system.

d20Pro does not enforce the number of actions per turn, the movement, or any other hard ruling. If you have a first level character that has 243 attacks and a movement speed of 200000ft/round, you can do that. Thus, Dragonmaster13 is correct, you can simply edit the "Attacks" Tab of the character and enter as many attacks using any Attribute stat for the bonus modifier, and the amount of damage for each attack with the damage Attribute stat for the bonus modifier.

Take a look at the User Guide and if you have any more questions please ask. :)

4. tufttugger

tufttugger New Member

I too am new and thinking about purchasing d20pro. A friend recommended it to me. I have a custom world with custom classes, prestige classes, and feats. I see how the spells.txt and classes.txt and feats.txt files function, where and how you customize those so you can choose spells/feats for a character/creature, but I'm unclear how a spell from say, the spell compendium, has its effect rendered? Are spell effects stored online at d20pro, and can be viewed in game to be applied? Or when we choose to use a spell we have to manually apply the results each time, manually entering the descriptive effect so we can remember what it does next time its cast and apply/adjudicate the effect accordingly?

I see you can enter any custom abilities to a specific character, including feats. But are custom feats stored generically so anyone can add it to their character, see the effect, and apply it to their sheet?

Lastly, if we want creatures that are non-SRD, but from WotC, like MM3 say, do we have to enter each one manually and save it?

I hope that was clear.

Thank you,

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello tufttugger,

Think of the d20Pro character sheet much the same way you would your paper character sheet. You can write anything you wish on your paper character sheet, you can write custom feat names, custom gear, and pretty much anything you wish. d20Pro simply offers a slightly enhanced version which allows you to roll saves, skills, and ability checks from your character sheet.

Any feat selection you have on your character sheet, you (the Judge/GM) must manually add the appropriate bonuses to attacks, skills, saves, etc before handing it to the player to use (the only exception to this is Improved Initiative, Evasion, and Improved Evasion which is all handled by d20Pro since it can keeps track of Initiative and apply effects based on evasion). So, if the player took Iron Will, the Judge/GM will simply add 2 to the total Will save on the character sheet. If the player took Weapon Focus Greatsword, the Judge/GM will simply add a bonus to the attack roll for that weapon focus. This holds true on your paper character sheet also.

Any spell selection you have on your character sheet you can either program the spell into the spell database (stored locally, so each player has their own). Then you can load the spell's effect (and you just enter the appropriate save and duration - since they change as you level), or you can use it as a counter (like your paper character sheet does) and you can roll the damage on Core Dice and the Judge can quickly apply the damage via the "D" keyboard command. Or you can create them under the abilities tab for quick access.

What d20Pro excels at is combat automation (speeds up game play and keeps track of attacks, HP, status effects, etc), and how each player and GM interacts with the map.

6. tufttugger

tufttugger New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I got the jist of it now. I have a judge license now and have been slowly learning the ins-and-outs as time permits. I have a good structural understanding of the software if not the details/buttons on how to do certain things (time and experience will solve that). I've learned certainly the largest amount of work is entering all the details for items, characters, spells, and drawing maps by hand. Thanks to so many who have already put effort into detailing creatures, maps, and items, I have imported a lot of those to save a lot of work.

I posted in other threads on one last thing though. Has D20pro created a spell package or the like that can be imported with default spell effects from OGL Pathfinder to be selected for creatures/characters and then users can just update the caster level and save modifier?

If this hasn't been created by D20pro, is it possible to load up a single creature with all the spells and then export that creature and use it to load spells into your campaign? Like I've used for an item pack mule, or maps loaded with creatures? Or some other such sharing ability between creatures? If this is the case, has anybody done that?

I haven't figured out yet how spell effects are stored and shared as you can see. Sorry to be a mooch, but I just don't have as much time as I did in my youth to put in such a huge effort to input all the spells and I greatly appreciate everything everyone else has assembled and made publicly available.

Thank you,

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi tufttugger,

d20Pro's spell system was designed so you can adjust or make changes to any spell and spell effect without the restriction of a particular rule set. This allows custom spells and spell effects.

I run one of my online Pathfinder games with a more face-to-face organic play style. I have my players create their own characters (using their Judge license) and send it to me. They can be as detailed or as open as they like... meaning, if they want to pre-program spell effects into their Abilities tab so all they have to do is one-click apply - that's great! If they would rather use the spell system to keep track of their spells and on-the-fly enter the effects into it before sending it to me, they are free to do that also. Or, if they want to just roll dice (either on d20Pro or real dice and give me the result on Skype) that's fine too. The bottom line is, don't get hung-up or spend a huge amount of time adding effects to your personal effects database (accessible via effects).

In the future we plan to add a user-friendly way to add and share all the spells and their effects (including duration and calculated rolls based on ECL) organized in a library where each spell and their effect is just a click away.

For your question regarding using a creature to store your spells and spell effects inside the Abilities Tab... yes, that is a good way if you want to spend the time developing that creature (like a pack mule). I just rely on my players to enter in the spell effects each time - it doesn't take very long once they get used to the layout. They can even be entering that information for their next spell before it's their turn and just apply a template to do the auto-select targets when its their turn and bam! you approve the effect and it becomes the next creature's turn.

Thus, I just pre-program my bad-guys, create the map (or use an existing one), apply the Fog of War, then start my game. I don't worry about the player's - that's for them to do! :)

8. tufttugger

tufttugger New Member

That's awesome, thank you for the great response and detail. I'm a bit intimidated by the flexibility now, but I'm sure I'll love it when I get used to it.

Thank you.

9. BadGnome

BadGnome New Member

I too am thinking about purchasing D20 pro. However I am looking for a visual aid for combat and way to speed up combat. My current Pathfinder group meets once each two weeks and combat is painfully slow when more than 4 PCs show up. My hope is to put all the PC characters into your software and overlay my own maps. Then hook up my laptop the large TV in my living room, and turn combat into something new and fun. It seems your software was created to be the entire game: combat, RP and a virtual gaming space.

Would it be possible to use your software solely as a replacement for combat?

10. Dragonmaster13

You can use it for as much or as little as you wish. If all you want to do is use it for combat in a sit down setting, than do just thal.