1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Spell Casting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forsakensoul, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Forsakensoul

Forsakensoul New Member

Hello all,

I have just purchased the product, and just began testing it out with two of my friends tonight. They both imported characters from Herolab. I realize these questions have been asked several times, however I have no idea what the correct answer (or best solution) is, because of the the sheer amount of information.

This is what happened. When the wizard imported his character, the software recognized the spells. However when he went to cast the spell in it appeared that the software did not have any information about the spell. It was magic missile, so I was surprised. It also appeared that it was the responsibility of the player to enter in the spell's mechanics. From reading the forums I believe that this is correct, and that we did not import the character wrong.

So my questions are:
    • Did we import the wizard wrong? By this I mean does a freshly imported spell caster need to program in his spell mechanics manually?
    • If this is the case, is there a plugin, or community generated content, that has all the spells entered? This way we could download the file, and manually load in the spell mechanics.
    • And finally if the above cannot be done then what is the best solution or work around at the moment?

2. ChrisRevocateur

You imported the wizard correctly. The problem is with the spell effect system, it doesn't save ANYTHING. There are two work arounds, and both are A LOT of work, to be honest. It all depends on when and where you want to do that work. The first (and the one that the program is currently set up to do 'officially') is to have the player put in the effect, then 'save' it in the effect menu. This solution will NOT be remembered by spell, so every time you cast that spell, you will have to choose the saved effect from the drop down menu. This is the way I personally prefer doing it, as I fill the other option up with non-spell things. The second solution, and the one used by most people, is to save each spell as an at-will ability on the abilities tab, and use the spell section only for tracking the memorized/used part of the spells, while using the abilities for the actual effects.

While this is honestly a very shitty solution, and has been part of the software from the beginning, it is, from what I understand, very high on the priority list of things to fix.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

It is not nearly as frustrating as it sounds and I gather that it was originally done this way to allow for situational fluidity. Once you get used to it, it is a snap.. it took our group a couple of sessions, but now they are as fast at spell slinging as any other combat action.. and from a GM point of view I like the fluidity aspect of it. being 'hard set' has its own set of drawbacks..

4. Entola

Entola Member

5. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

This seems like a klunky workaround for a false dilemma: situational fluidity or hard coding spells.

If the current spell system was really accomplishing something, why are people using the abilities tab?

It seems that the 'spell' system needs to just be the 'abilities' tab modified to allow some extra tracking, and the abilities tab needs to be... what was the abilities tab for again? I'm not sure what it's doing there anyway.

For most systems, it seems that having 'attacks', 'spells', and 'abilities' are three different tabs for mostly the same thing done incompletely in each way. Why not have one tab that does fully what each of these needs?