1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

2.1 Update - classes.txt question. Spells.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by templar12, Apr 26, 2010.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

Hello!
    I notice in your release notes that "Additions and corrections to the built in classes.txt" I have written in my custom class into the classes.txt. Does this mean that my old classes.txt file be overwritten and I will need to re-insert my custom class?

Also--- A number of my players are hesitant to select spell casters, and are somewhat intimidated to tackle the spells menus,etc. I would recommend one of your first "Tutorial Vids" to be all about spells.(There's your title! "All about Spells") I find it to be great, very advantageous, but still don't think I know all the ins and outs....

As usual - a great product we continue to use! I just need more maps! Methinks I have raided RPGMapshare and Dundjinni all I can.

2. templar12

templar12 Member

My custom classes and spells are fine after the upgrade to 2.1.
    Good thing I remembered what my old password was!

3. Dan

Dan Member

The txt files are not overwritten on upgrades. You should check out the new classes.txt file though - it contains several fixes and adds prestige and NPC classes. I'll attach it for your convenience. You can copy/paste some of the new or fixed classes and put them into your modified one.

4. templar12

templar12 Member

Dan- as always you guys come through. (Aid Another +2)
    The upgrade has nice aesthetics. Great to combine that chat and game log window.One less window to move around, and splitting the tools menu was great idea as well. BAB visibility is great.I didn't know how many times the PC's would ask me about that when checking d20 v paper each level up.
    Now, if those pesky armor and shield penalties were just automatically adjusting skills.....

I reviewed your file and I noticed a couple things....not sure if this classes.txt is your own improved version of what was in 2.1? But I noticed my 2.1 version did not have your Assassin and Blackguard spells, as well as I did not have the Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, and Warrior.(Those actually come in handy for Sons of Gruumsh)
    Just wondering...btw, I am a Mac user, in case that makes a difference

5. Dan

Dan Member

No, that attached classes.txt file is the 2.1 version.

Any files in the DM\RES folder are NOT overwritten when you upgrade. You need to manually copy/paste them from a fresh install. Mainly this just applies to the txt files. So the ones you have in your 2.1 installation are still your older 2.0 files, with some of your customizations. That's why you need to merge changes manually.

6. templar12

templar12 Member

Ah! That is good to know!! Thank you. Maybe in the release notes that could be added. Or I never saw it anywhere else here in the site/forum.

Interesting, in the installer, I do not see where those txt files are sitting.
    Can you give me the file locations?

7. Dan

Dan Member

d20pro\dm\res\Manually Specified

8. templar12

templar12 Member

Yes, I see those in my d20Pro. I can access and custom mod those, ....but you said that the updaters do not overwrite my txt files and I need to manually make the changes...?Where in the installer do those files lurk so I can open both txt files side by side and manually mod them like I did the classes file you gave me...

rereading the post "from a fresh install" so, the Updater wouldnt touch the text files, but I need to download the whole 2.1, then just open those files, copy paste, mod as necessary?

9. Dan

Dan Member

Pretty much. The easiest way is to install 2.1 into a new folder, then go into that d20pro\dm\res\manually specified folder and copy the relevant parts you want and paste those into your main d20pro's classes.txt file.

10. Gnoll

Gnoll New Member

Are these needed for 4th Ed Dnd?

11. Dan

Dan Member

No. These are strictly 3.5 D&D

12. JMeitzen01

JMeitzen01 New Member

If you want a more up to date 4E Class file, you can get a copy of mine here... http://www.divshare.com/download/11265851-cab and a nearly complete Feat list as of January here... http://www.divshare.com/download/10644801-c33. Seeing as Dan has been so thoughtful to update my Spell list for everyone, maybe he will do the same for these files as well. I am glad to help everyone. If I am missing any Classes other than Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies(wich are not actual Classes) let me know. I will attempt a revision of the Feats list soon, I may have it ready by July.

13. JMeitzen01

JMeitzen01 New Member

Just found out that even though this list is theorhetically a complete Class list that D20pro only shows the original classes for a new creature. What am I missing?

14. Dan

Dan Member

The problem is the CreatureClass. It should be the same as the ## CLASS.

I've updated the Classes file and am attaching it here. Will also put it into the wiki.

15. JMeitzen01

JMeitzen01 New Member

Thank you, I cannot believe that I missed that