1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

2 GMs 1 host

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KainPen, Mar 6, 2017.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

Hi, guys I was wondering if it possible to do this, or maybe we can add this as a feature later. I recently was playing around, Linux os, and notice my wifi card was connecting at really bandwidth and after doing some research. I found a fix by changing a few things on my router and bam, I was getting full 880mb AC connection speed to my router. I while doing this research I saw people where having similar problems in windows. Come to find out my AC wifi card is not very well liked by windows 7 or 10. windows often throttles down the connection speed, to only n speeds. I checked and verified this it was doing this. unfortunately running d20pro on my Intel nuc while under linux, not seem to run d20pro smoothly at all, it seems to struggle. Despite os using lesser resources and giving me more network bandwith. While in windows it runs much smoother, but now I am stuck with slower network connection. It does effect my players that play remotely, but not my local players. It got me thinking what if I ran the host from my desktop which is a much more robust system and hardwired directly into my router with 1gig connection. But login into my nuc that is on my gaming table as gm but not as host for system. That way all the processing is being done on the desktop, and just the visuals are being sent to nuc. Is there a way to currently do this or maybe you guys discus having this adding that host and GM can be different, type of login.

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So there are a few ways to handle this. vnc is the biggest and easiest way from windows to linux. Just slave the windows box as a vnc host and run vnc on the linux nuc. I used to run all of my games from a tablet running Splashtop and prior to that vnc.

Basically you remote desktop control the other station.

Alternately, if you have local players around a digital table, set the NUC up as a player connected to your desktop on the local network. Then run your game from the more powerful desktop -- GM needs a bit more GPU resources due to seeing all-the-things-all-the-time.

And finally, you can do the VNC/Splashtop route to get your desktop view onto a tablet, and still run the nuc for local players as a player client.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh and to answer your actually question, yeah, "we're working on that" but I don't have an ETA.

4. KainPen

KainPen Member

Thanks I will give that a try.