1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7.3 Crazy Graphical Glitches [solved]

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by firebringer, Aug 28, 2018.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

what you are trying to do exactly? Move the mouse inside the different d20Pro application windows
    what the result was and/or what steps you took? Moving the over buttons causes strange graphical fragmenting and refresh issues to appear starting from the mouse's current position.
    Is the issue repeatable? Very, very repeatable
    what OS you are using? Windows 10
    what rules system are you using? Pathfinder
    what version of the software are you using? 3.7.3

I don't know what caused this strange behavior to start, but it may have been after my last java update. After I've had d20Pro open for more than a few minutes, extremely graphical refresh problems start to occur.

I will see things as shown in the attached file "Screen Glitch", and even on the launcher window, as shown in attached file "Screen Glitch 2".

My Nvidia graphics card drivers are up to date: GeForce GTX 1080, vers. 399.07.

I'm running DirectX runtime vers 12.0, on Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

There are no errors thrown, but I've attached my d20Pro.log regardless.

Current display settings are 2560 x 1440, but it also happens on 2048x1080. Refresh rate is 60 Hz.

Please help, it makes the application almost unusable.

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

There are quite a few errors logged there and what looks like some resource failures.

Could you please create a new campaign and let me know if the issue persists or is related to the campaign you were using.

as to the graphics issue, usually, when this has been seen in the past it's almost always video driver related.
    Have you tried rolling your driver back one version, if your current driver is on the cutting edge?

3. firebringer

firebringer Member

Creating a new campaign didn't help. Also, the problems start even on the launcher screen, which is before a campaign is loaded, so it doesn't seem to be campaign specific. I also emptied my cache folder...didn't help.

As far as drivers go, the problem has persisted for more than a month, so I updated the drivers today to the latest version, which still had the graphics problem.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

What video card do you have?
    What monitor do you have?
    Is 2560 x 1440 a 'native' resolution for that monitor?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

which is a pretty good indicator that your settings are outside of your hardwares abilities, but without knowing specifics I am just guessing and relying on experience and your description.

6. firebringer

firebringer Member

What video card do you have? NVidia GeForce GTX 1080
    What monitor do you have? Dell UltraSharp 25 Monitor
    Is 2560 x 1440 a 'native' resolution for that monitor? Yes
    which is a pretty good indicator that your settings are outside of your hardwares abilities: It's a high end Alienware Area 51 R5 gaming system

I am running in dual monitor mode, with the primary monitor being the 25". The second monitor is a smaller monitor with a lower native resolution. The 25" is connected with a MDP connector (mini display port), the other with HDMI. Tonight after work I will try disabling the higher res monitor and only running in single monitor mode on the older monitor.

Core system specs:
    1. Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 7900X (10-core, 13.75MB Cache, up to 4.5GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
    2. Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
    3. NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
    4. 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz (2X16GB)
    5. 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD

After digging through a variety of Google searches (try search string 'nvidia java graphics tearing' for similar problems), I have noticed quite a few problems across other java applications running on systems with Nvidia cards, and not just on Windows 10.

I've run nvidiaprofileinspector.exe and set the max refresh rate for the system at 59, 58, and 56 Hz (lower than the monitor 60Hz), but it didn't help.

I've also set the Vsync mode for the graphics card to "adaptive", but that did not help either.

I really don't want to have to roll back to a lower version of the Nvidia drivers from like 6 months ago (there are improvements that I want for 3D games), but I guess that's an option...

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't go that route for the obvious reasons. I use a similar GPU and driver versioning even down to being on a dell ultrasharp monitor. So yeah, that's definitely not what's causing it.

This is actually a well known Java bug that was been fixed in later editions of java. Can you fire up D20PRO, go to Options, then click on "Show Log" from the first tab (General)?

What we're looking for is the entry that comes at the start of a D20PRO launch which tells us what operating system and java version is being used to launch the application.

What I'm looking for is the java version -- you want to be running 1.8_161 or better (ideally 1.8_181).

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

he is running 162, was the first thing I looked for.

[28 Aug 2018 17:12:48,606] INFO D20 | D20PRO version: 3.7.3
    [28 Aug 2018 17:12:48,608] INFO D20 | Java version: 1.8.0_162
    [28 Aug 2018 17:12:48,609] INFO D20 | Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

here is the spec on the U2518D

upload_2018-8-29_9-20-44.png

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You might try gutting the video drivers and doing a 'forced' clean install.
    It is possible there are some old bits still laying about the system from a prior driver version that are causing the issue.

I believe Nvidia has a cleaner utility on their website.

11. firebringer

firebringer Member

Bah I was hoping it was going to be as easy as updating my java version, although I may still try that too.

I'll try the clean driver install later tonight when I'm home from work, and report back on the results.

12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

13. firebringer

firebringer Member

I've uninstalled all versions of java, installed 1.8_181 jre, but every time I open d20Pro, it launches using 1.8_162...log file attach and installed java vers attached.

Can I force to the launcher to use the 1.8_181 vers? Is the 162 vers part of the d20Pro 3.7.3 install?

Attached Files:

14. firebringer

firebringer Member

I see that there is a \jre folder in my d20Pro folder...I'm guessing that version is the version being used to launch d20Pro....do I need to replace or delete that folder?

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

This is not fully in production -- we're just putting our posts about it together:

http://pubs.d20pro.com/Production/3.7.4/

1.8_181 is rolled into the new version so you won't have to worry about why 162 is still launching. However, for the sake of completeness, the batch file uses the local JRE which ships with the app to launch so that way if you don't have the right version, we can still run.

I'll take a look at the log, however, GPU-Tearing is rarely something the generates a log entry, unfortunately.

16. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

The log shows that you need 3.7.4 for all sort of other reasons ;) Sorry it's taken so long to get the bug fix release out the door!!
    what it doesn't show is anything related to the GPU problem other than java version.

17. firebringer

firebringer Member

grr no change. fresh install of 3.7.4. log file shows its running 1.8._181....tearing starts even on the launch screen.

log file and screenies attached....

grrrrrrrr

Attached Files:

18. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You might try resetting your Nvidia profile to failsafe settings, see if that corrects it, then re tweak until you discover the culprit

upload_2018-8-29_19-18-36.png

19. firebringer

firebringer Member

Meh this is not good.

I reset the 3d settings to factory original...no change.

I rolled back Nvidia drivers to the June 26 vers. that the system shipped with...no change.

I'm running out of ideas.

20. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

can you give me info on the gpu driver and make?

Also, win 10 64-bit yes?

So i was plagued with this for some time on my Nvidia kit and actually talked to my contacts at Nvidia (from when I ran GPU clusters for BU). They confirmed the driver problem with the caveat that Oracle was "fixing" it. that being said, I'm currently running the following without incident:

upload_2018-8-29_23-24-19.png

Are you using the Gameready driver system to manage the Nvidia Drivers?