1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7 release delay

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by owlbear, Aug 31, 2016.

1. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I know, I know... we just set up this awesome release schedule and now, a week later, I'm posting about how we're going to be loosy-goosy with it.

Here's the skinny.

3.7 is going to introduce the first pass of our Rules API. However, due to a slight misunderstanding between the local team (me) and the remote team (our contractor), we're going to have to push back the Rules API release (3.7) until next week. Basically the code is moving along wonderfully, however, the client access (you) to said code is not there yet. i.e. there's no user facing "Interface" in our Application Programming Interface -- le'sigh.

The main reason for this miss is that D20PRO is a closed source application and yet we're exposing a core interface in such a way as to allow for community developers to build code which can run/inject into the application. The technique being employed is similar to our plug-ins for importers -- hotjar. Jar files need to be compiled, which means that several elements need to be present outwardly to allow for compilation of the Rules hotjar. In the event that you were unaware of this development work, the mechanism is targeted at programmers.

In additional to the above, there is some encryption/decryption that needs to be accounted for allowing for commercial rule sets to be built alongside public rule sets. i.e. 5e, Pathfinder, Thune, Savage Worlds, etc. which would be for-sale rule sets. The system we have now would work for one or the other of these types -- community or commercial but not both.

Note: OGL and SRD rules remain freely available for 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e and 5e.

We don't expect the fix to take very long which is why we're only pushing the release back by a week.

We're still planning to release a bug fix update during the window tomorrow supplying it's ready, but major updates, including the Rules engine, will be next week.

Thanks for your understanding and continued patience!

- Owlbear

RenScotson likes this.
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Updating the Manually specified folder files (classes.txt etc) is mind numbingly tedious and sloggingly boring :p, but we (Eric, Nathan & I) do it with luv! even if it is slow going .. It will be awesome when finished.... :)

RenScotson likes this.
  3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Lol, I'm with you there, I've done my fair share in the past too. I'm glad you all took this part over :)

RenScotson likes this.
  4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

And of course I threw a major wrench in the works for them this week, so the slog is harder because we're improving the format options significantly. Honestly, we're near cap on what we can express cleanly with the Key=thing|thing|thing nomenclature... good, but not quite what we need in the long run!

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

rewriting to something other than key=thing|thing|thing will totally be worth the headache and efforts, we'll be able to do way more and do it better with a more modern model of entry.