1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Active Effects

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Dragonmaster13, May 20, 2011.

1. Dragonmaster13

Not sure if this is a bug or not so here goes. I apply an effect to one or more creatures. I set the duration. Ok everything is fine. When the duration expires the effect is up.

Now I open the Active Effects window. Any effects that are currently on creatures at that moment show up there with the creatures listed. Now the problem; effects that have expired are also listed just with no creatures chosen.

When the duration is up are the effects suppose to vanish from the Active Effects window?

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

when time runs out they are suppose to go away.

I will investigate!

3. unsaved

unsaved Member

The effects vanish for me. Seems that the round counting ends BEFORE the effector's (not effectee) subsequent turns.

But the problem I'm seeing is worse. In the effect I am saying to subtract 1d4 from HP each round. It shows up properly in effects and disappears after 2 rounds, but only the original 1d4 is ever subtracted. To eliminate ambiguity of dice roll I changed it to a static -5 HP per round and still the ongoing active effect is just displayed but is never applied.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, any damage indicated is only applied once. Unless, you use the Fast Healing/Damage over Time option (in the same Hit Point Tab of the effect). Depending on the group I GM depends on which method I use... If it's a game that has a time limit, I'd opt for the quick static HP drain using the DoT option. If it's a game that affords more time, I'd let the players roll their own damage (because I'm that nice! haha - most the time my players seem to roll better when they know the damage is going to be directed at them.) Then I'd simply select the creature and press the "D" key and indicate the HP damage.

Both the rolled/random damage over multiple rounds and the time when it applied and wears off will be an option in an upcoming release. Currently it counts rounds starting from the creature who used the effect.

5. Dragonmaster13

It would be nice to be able to have damage over time not only have a static amount but also be able to roll damage.

6. unsaved

unsaved Member

I vote to get this working soon. According to the "d20Pro Spell System, The Pros & The Cons" blog entry, d20Pro will keep track of how long to apply the +1 to all attacks rolled by each icon that the spell system targeted, yet when you specify ongoing damage, the damage is only applied once. Of course, GMs who read that blog or who see the +1 attack bonus ongoing will assume that the damage works ongoing too... especially since the Active Effects listing indicates that it is having an effect. (I haven't actually tested that what the blog says actually works). Maybe at least throw up a pop-up to remind the GM when to re-apply damage manually. Now, the only indication that the GM gets that it's time to re-apply ongoing damage is that the round counter for that effect ticks down (or the whole effects entry disappears in the last round). Watching that round counter every turn is more trouble than doing the whole thing on paper.

7. Dragonmaster13

A pop-up or a notation in the game log when an effect ends would be nice.

8. unsaved

unsaved Member

But say your effect is to do 1d4+1 damage each round for 3 rounds. Yes, a pop-up or notation would be great at the end of the 3rd round, but the GM should also get some kind of indication to apply this variable damage in rounds 1 and 2.

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This is something that we're looking at implementing in a future version, so any discussion about what you'd like to see is welcome.

10. unsaved

unsaved Member

Getting somewhat off-topic, but since the upcoming work will also involve spell management, please support counts on spell records instead of cluttering the lists with duplicate entries.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

So like...

Code:
    Bless x 4
    Instead of...

Code:
    Bless
    Bless
    Bless
    Bless

12. unsaved

unsaved Member

Right. I can't think how anybody could prefer cluttering up their inventory with multiple identical entries now. But when and if spell entries actually have an association to spell effects (now this association has to be done manually with every spell invocation), I guess that different prepared instances of a single spell could have distinctive attributes, but I don't recall having come across that use case.

13. unsaved

unsaved Member

Alchemist's Fire is a real example of this. The first 1d6 is straight forward enough and can be modeled as a regular attack (touch range attack) with 1d6. But based on what I've read here and elsewhere, there is no way for d20Pro to assist with remembering to apply another 1d6 one round in the future.