1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

AD&D 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by KainPen, May 3, 2010.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

Has any one set up d20pro to play old school D&D. I working on doing this now but if anyone has done some work on this let me know and give me some tips on setting it up. Once i have it set up i will type up a step by step setup.

opps put this in wrong section can a fourm mod move this from game lobby to Gaming Discussions other systems

**** Daggeth: moved to new forum as requested ******

2. Dan

Dan Member

You COULD but it's best if you went with a houserule to use positive AC's. That' would make yours and everyone else's life easier because you could then program attacks into the system. Otherwise you would have to use the Core Dice and play as you would at a table.

3. KainPen

KainPen Member

I already housed ruled + ac in my last game because i found it easyer for people to under stand combat. people jsut seem to have problems under standing - was good and + was bad.
    so my ac's start at -10 to +12 being the highest all i did was reverse the ac in the monster manual.
    I did a test on two charaters so far. with out editing any class files
    So to start in the two character
    1 med and 1 large
    for there ac i had to impose a pental of -20 AC for the medium character
    and -19AC for the large as size already give him a -1
    this gives takes up for +10 ac that is giving naturaly in 3.xed.

i did not give them any classes as that add base attack bonus.
    not sure what to do about saves as of now leaving them as 0

for attacking had to start the characters with base -20 attack roll for level 1 then add a then decrease that for every + gain from magic, STR to hit bonus and T.H.A.C.0 increase.

for the large creature had to use -19 to attack as base. there where no size pentalies in 2ed.
    for small creatures you will have to impose a -21 to AC and to hit for starting.

i had to remove the Bonus to hit section to -/- in stead of STR/STR as the bonus are not the same
    2nd has max scores of 1-25 on any ablity and they are not = to 3.x rules
    example 19 str in 3.5 is +4 to hit and damage. 19 in 2nd is +3 to hit +7 damage.
    if you recive damage bonus from STR it must be add in the dice rolled for damage section.

combat worked well after this. expect i need to adjust for initiative. can house rule d20 must me rolled for for initiative and that the higher the score goes frist as in 2nd book rules is the lower goes frist as it took you less time to be ready. but 2nd hand weapons speeds as a draw back. is there way to impose a pentaliy every round for a weapon speeds and casting time for spells these can be keep track of in notes sections? but i need a way to enforce them.

another note 2nd there was no confirm a crit. if you played with crit rule 20 crit and did only x2 damage. I just have to rule a natural 20 as confimed crit on dm side. note on the attack side to adjust your crit on all attack to x2.

as it looks for now saves have to go in the note section of character and roll core dice and Gm will have to adjust damage
    from a spell based on that roll.

any other ideas or suggestions on dealing with these things.

4. Dan

Dan Member

Kainpen, I see what you are trying to do here but I think it's more complicated than it needs to be.

I think the easiest thing would be to make ALL things positive concerning AC and skills.

THACO: Subtract THACO from 20 to get the base modifier you need.
    THAC0 20 = +0 To Hit
    THAC0 19 = +1 To Hit
    THAC0 18 = +2 To Hit
    THAC0 -5 = +15 To Hit
    So on and so forth.

Defense bonuses and AC
    To find the defense bonus for items & armor, subtact the old AC bonus from 10.
    For example, let's look at Plate Mail: Old AC 2, it gives you +8 AC now. Bracers AC 6 gives you +4 AC now.
    Then add 10 to find the total AC score (+3 platemail is +11 AC, for example). ALL ACs are 10 + modifiers now. This makes Positive numbers GOOD and negative numbers BAD. Nice and simple.

To convert old ACs to the new system, subtract the old AC from from 20.
    So, Old AC 2 is now 18. Old AC -7 is now 27.

Ability Scores / Classes
    The easiest is to just put them in and modify attacks in the attack matrix to not use ability scores to hit/damage.
    Classes will have to be modified in the classes.txt file. First you should set BAB progression to 0 so you can manually adjust BAB yourself (remember, BAB is 20-THACO from the THACO table for class/level).
    Spellcasting classes will have to have their spells/day tables modified in the classes.txt file as appropriate.

The main thing is to simplify your attacks and defenses. Go with 3rd edition & later methods. Conversion & game play will be MUCH easier and your players will thank you.

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

I give that a try later. sounds good did the math it works out well.

Any Suggestion on mutli class character since the system is completely different???

is there a way to set size mods to 0 ???? or is that all handeled on back end. if not well have to adjust AC and to hit by adjust manual.

Weapon Proficiencies can be handel in the feat section of the character. fighters weapon Speicalization can be handed by just adding 1 weapon focus and weapon Speicalization feats. 2nd does not use skills like 3rd it uses Non- Proficiencies and these can just be handel in the note section and by useing in game dice rolls.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Set all sizes to Medium, and just use the Space fields to make them 10x10 or whatever. Medium creatures can take up 20x20 feet in d20pro if you want them to.

7. KainPen

KainPen Member

just putting in a update.
    save rolls must be done manual, initiative override is check and must be set to - # for weapon speed, or creatures size. (my dice fudger suggestion and all roll approved by dm would help with these.)

Classes have been sent to manual BAB, spell per day adjusted.

I have updated Feat.txt to be used for Proficiency from players hand book only and all weapons from Arms and Armory book. suggest adding custom feats for weapon specialization or greater weapon specialization for 1.0 D&D rules or if character choose to increase a skill by extra slot. or get one from prohibited group by spending the extra slots. (Edit Update Feat.txt to include almost every proficiency made. This now in include all from Players Hand book, Complete Books. There are a few left out from Complete Dwarf and Complete Paladin book. because i did not plan to use them in my game.)

Spell list has all spells in it from Players Handbook

oh few more things
    All ability scores are set to 10 on all creatures and players. players will still need sheet handy for proficiency checks and ability score checks.
    STR to hit and damage mod are placed on the attack.
    i have given each attack unless damage is the same for size two different attacks
    1 for small to man size creatures example long sword does 1d8 to small to man size
    2 for larger then man size example it does 1d12 to larger then man size.

dex mod to ac has been added as unnamed bonus, that way mod is not added to initiative.

Attached Files:

8. Dan

Dan Member

Just give them levels in each class and then override the BAB to what it needs to be. Oh, speaking of the BAB (Base Attack Bonus) - that should be set to 20 - THACO for the class level (unmodified THACO). So a fighter with an unmodified THACO of 17 would have a BAB of +3 - that way you could keep the mods on the Attack tab to only specialization, magical weapons, etc.

9. KainPen

KainPen Member

yeah i did that works well. hehehe hope you guys don't add anything in the next update that kills my muli classing.

10. KainPen

KainPen Member

update (Edit Update Feat.txt to include almost every proficiency made. This now in include all from Players Hand book, Complete Books. There are a few left out from Complete Dwarf and Complete Paladin book. because i did not plan to use them in my game.) i removed old file and uploaded new file.

I am still working on building monsters from Monster manual that is taking a while.

I decided instead of using Weapons speed as penalty to Initiative i imposed a Penalty based on creature size as if they where using natural weapons. I found it time consuming to have to edit the character sheet every round because a different weapon or spell was used. this speed up the game a lot.

I am going to update spell.txt soon to include reversible spells and there names. I have a question where are the spell effects saved i been saving a lot of effects and would like to add them to my players PCs so they have the effects on the fly. i been including full spell description.

I also Have a pdf with all Non-weapon prof. descriptions I use. not sure if i can upload it but if you would like a copy pm me with you're e-mail and i will send it your way. it also list the source book i got the Prof. from.

11. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

all the file attachments from this thread have disappeared, any chance of reloading them?

12. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

The files should work now, please let me know if you still have trouble.

13. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

They download down fine , thanks!

14. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

(reposting - the first time I posted this for some reason it didnt popuilate within the forums)

It would be an awesome feature if this VT could integrate excel spreadsheets or at least reference them. This way I could use my automated game table spreadsheet that has every rule in the book converted to formula and all referenced for immediate implamentation to be added to this VT and save alot of time. You never know! They may use this idea and I will cheer them if it is so! :0)

Great app BTW!!!

15. KainPen

KainPen Member

yeah it good if you have any question about running 2.0 on this feel free to send me pm. or post them here. I will do my best to describe how I fix some issues here and there or did a work around. Example I turn all potions in to charge ability to keep track potions used in game as well as charges for wands and scroll count. every time one of my players wants to use one of these things. they select the ability and spell effects, approval comes to me. I approve or not. it does kind of suck because I have to keep track of them in two spots for because of Item saves, and got to make sure I pick rest to just restore spells. I usually adjust physical inventory at end of night. I been away for a bit since my group went back to playing vampire.

16. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I worked out many (almost all) of the rules from the core 2nd edition books into working formulas and combat mathematics within my spreadsheet. I will go over it this week and upload it for you to use in for conversion process.

EDIT : What is the best way to incorporate these files into my installation of D20 Pro that wont effect the other gaming systems (third and fourth edition rules) that are already built in?

I strongly recommend if I may be so bold to have the second edition method implemented withing D20 Pro.

17. KainPen

KainPen Member

best thing i found to do is make a 2nd campaign and name is ad&d 2.0 then you can load the txt files in that folder with out messing up your 3.5 or other games.

18. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

OK i have begun entering all the D&D 2nd Ed books into my D20 Pro installation. I have a spreadsheet that automates accurate character generation using every book and optional rule if desired in the spreadhseet.

The problem I am running into when adding this data to D20 Pro is when I use it for my Darksun campaign. How do I implement MAC / MThac0 as well as psionic power points within D20 Pro?

Keep in mind Darksun has made psionic combat identical to actual combat to make everything easier and it does but is a way to add this to D20 Pro? I would eventually like to use the combat management capability within D20 Pro but I cannot do this until this issue is resolved.

Thanks!!

19. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Is this why it is called "D20"..
    It is dedicated to handling d20 mechanics, as it should be..
    To ask them to subvert the concept goal is just plain disingenuous to the task at hand, which is supporting d20 in a fantastic and solid way..
    Which the current aims and goals due fantastically (Thanks guys)..

Please do not allow these people to subvert a great product. The product does what it states and it does it well..
    To try and accommodate other systems and such would only dilute the greatness of the product and spreads its abilities far to thin and IMHO would only degrade the quality..

Now, that said.. They could and with the success of d20pro, probably should..
    Create/Design/Support AD&DPro as a product!!

20. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

We've certainly received a number of requests for d20Pro to support other gaming systems (Shadowrun!) and this is definitely something we'd like to do since we play some non-d20 systems in our own gaming groups. We are actively working on making our software much more 'rules agnostic', but this can be a lengthy process since it was so focused on d20-based systems when we created it. I can't give any sort of time frame or more details but I wanted to let everybody know who has asked for this that we've heard you and it is something we're working on.