1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Allocated RAM

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by cyderak, Aug 11, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Is there a way to allocate more RAM without having to execute D20Pro via the .bat file???

Maybe offer a higher allocated RAM version of D20Pro.

Or an executable update that allocates 1024 RAM instead of the 256MB RAM while still allowing you to execute the program from the normal D20Pro icon.

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

for now just make a short cut to the bat file you can change the icon for the short cut. I think it a Java issues with the memory set like that. I herd of other java program having to do something similar. but for those looking to increase the ram used.

http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/system-tweaks

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

Just starting a Java app you get the default size of memory based on the Java version.

To get allocate more memory you have to specify at run time.

4. cyderak

cyderak Member

crud.........oh well.

5. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

Just a suggestion

Maybe if you go into your Control Panel, Java
    then in Java tab
    press View button
    than change the "runtime parameters" you may add the "-Xmx512m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false"

But that will affect all your java applications

(didn't test it , but i think it might be a start)

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

I'm going to have to find a solution relatively fast........I use some pretty large sized maps.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Curious, why the avoidance of using the .bat file to start d20Pro?

8. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Thats what I use, set mine to 1024 and no problems. But for some reason if I set it any higher the program will not start.

9. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I had to fiddle with mine, but found that I could 1584K allocated - and still have everything work properly.

Available RAM, background programs, and even 64-bit vs 32-bit (Java) will all impact how much memory you can allocate.

10. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

Thurgian is right i have a 64 bit system with a total ram of 12 gigs and i have d20pro set to 2048mb or 2 gigs, it runs very smoothly, even with very very large maps fully loaded.

11. cyderak

cyderak Member

The Laptop I'm using has 4 gig of RAM. I'll try and allocate some RAM this week.

12. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hey,

Allocated 1.5 gig of RAM to run D20Pro and it isn't AS pokey but it still lags from time to time. I know I am using high quality maps but the reason I upgraded to D20Pro was to get away from annoying problems like this I had with Battlegrounds virtual Tabletop and Maptools Virtual Tabletop.

I have 4 gig of RAM available to run programs and would like to use a good chunk of it to kick D20Pro in high gear.

It probably doesn't help that I am using gif animations too but when I talked to Dan and the Bald dude(sorry can't remember his name) at Gen Con 2010 they said it should handle GIF animations no problem.

Is there any way to allocate More RAM or is that a future feature to look forward to??

13. cyderak

cyderak Member

If the allocated RAM thing could just be addressed in the next version of d20Pro's exe file that'd be easier yet.

14. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

RAM allocation is a function of JAVA and not the D20Pro executable.

While the "next update" could include a BAT file with more robust ram settings, such a solution wouldn't necessarily be a good thing; as how much RAM is available to JAVA is considerably more complex than how much RAM the machine has installed.

While the exact number escapes me, I allocate 1.8ish GB; and have great performance. I do know that it took a little "trial and error" to find the maximum I could allocate; but it wasn't any more complex than entering values into the BAT and seeing if the program would still load ...

It is important to note that 64 bit machines can utilize either 32-bit or 64-bit Java; and while the 64-bit application does provide better overall performance, the 32-bit version utilizes less RAM (and therefore allows more RAM to be allocated to the application). Since I haven't noticed any performance issues, and need to allocate as much RAM as possible (some of my maps are extremely large from a RAM standpoint), I have opted to utilize the 32-bit version of JAVA.

15. cyderak

cyderak Member

O.k., I allocated 1536 of RAM and with all my creature animations and custom maps it runs slower than molases. Through trial and error, thats the number that would still allow D20Pro to start without that error message.

Need help...........soon.

16. Dan

Dan Member

I also have mine set to 2G. Still not sure why a BAT file isn't an option...

17. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

As for v2.2, d20Pro is a 32bit Java application. So depending on the particulars of your hardware, the max that can be allocated to the JVM is 1.2-1.5GB. Obviously we have players who are pushing well past that threshold and who really need us to support 64bit Java so the upper memory limit goes (well) beyond the physical memory on your computers.

This is coming soon and given the real world use cases we'll double our efforts to support 64bit.

In the meantime I ask exactly how big are your maps? If you are using 200dpi and greater maps, I highly recommend you rescale those to 100dpi. They will still look good, even when zoomed in, and will dramatically reduce the amount of map needed to keep them in memory.

To cyderak et al, how big are the maps you are using in pixels?

18. Dan

Dan Member

Ishould note that I run maps around 7000x9000 pixels and it performs fine with 700 or so mg of ram. I don't see why you would need much more. Perhaps something else is contributing to the sluggishness.

19. cyderak

cyderak Member

Could it be my 252 GIF creature animations?

And my Maps for the most part are 50 to 100 dpi.......maybe one to five of them are 200 dpi.

20. KainPen

KainPen Member

it more then likely is the gifs. the constant reloading of the animation is more then likely eating your memory. the ram does not have time to clear it self. if try using non gifs. and see how it responds. if it still doing the same it something else cause the issue. if the gifs are a issues. you can try using ram releasing software in the background. i notice mine gets a little sluggish after i have 4 to 5 maps open. if i close down to one i never have any issues and i use default settings on a 2gig machine.