1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Assorted questions from a new user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nezzeraj, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

So I ran my first full session in d20pro and I have a few questions if anyone can help me with :D

1. How do you handle metamagic? I have a wizard PC and he uses several Extend spells (Extend Mage Armor) for example, which boosts it from a 1st level spell to a 2nd level. But there's no way to choose it because it's not technically a spell. My only thought is I would have to manually enter something like (Metamagic) [Spell Name] in the class and spell.txt files at the appropriate level but that seems burdensome to say the least. Is there an easier way I'm missing?

2. Does the spell function (hotkey s) do anything besides tracking spell usage? As far as I know, spells do not have any mechanics integrated with them, I have to create a spell effect or choose a pre-saved one from my library. Is this correct? Related to that, whenever I double-click spells in the spell tab, I get a message saying "Spell Casting is not available because this is just a Creature Template. Drag this Template to the Game first." I have no idea what this means. The character has a token on the map but there is no way to edit spells from the token so I don't see how this affects anything. Any ideas?

3. The mini window suffers from a few things, namely lacking an item tab and spell tab. Is there anyway to add tabs to the mini window so my characters can see their items and their spells without having to go into their character edit mode? If not this is my most requested feature, especially if the item system gets overhauled.

4. Finally, I know group initiative isn't available yet, but I'm hoping one of the devs can at least say if its being worked on. D20pro is amazing at speeding up combat once all the prep work is completed, but nothing grinds it to a halt faster than a Summoner summoning 4 lantern archons in the middle of a combat, each with their own initiative :p

2. ChrisRevocateur

1. You either do exactly what you mentioned (adding the metamagicked version as a spell in the class list). That's technically the "right" way to do it. A lot of groups just put the spells (and metamagicked versions) in as abilities for the character. I personally don't do that because I use the abilities for feats, hero points, class abilities, and every thing else, so adding spells would make it a cluster****. I've thought of creating separate "spell creatures" for each spellcaster, but haven't actually tried that idea yet.

2. Nope, just tracks spell usage. Making the effects on the spot or loading them from the saved library is the only way to get spell effects into the spell itself. You can't cast spells from creature templates (that's what they're called when they're in the Library). If you want to cast spells from a creature that is on the map, you have to do it from the token that is on the map, not from the creature template in the library. I don't know what makes you think that editing spells on a token that is on the map isn't possible. Just right click and choose "edit (view for players) creature," or click it and press hotkey E, then go to the spells tab.

3. Nope. The Mini isn't really supposed to act as the character sheet for a character, that's what the edit/view sheet is for. The mini is really just supposed to be a quick menu kind of thing.

4. I know group initiative is something we've all asked for, and I know the devs have heard us. Don't know where they are on implementing such a feature though.

3. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Thanks for your response!

1. I was afraid this was going to be the answer lol. Hopefully they can make a metamagic template that can modify spell levels or something in one of the updates.

2. I guess I should clarify. By edit the spell I meant having the effect (ability) tied to the spell. So if I click spell -> burning hands, it would already have the damage effect tied to it, rather than having to select it as a pre-made ability every time I cast. I'm not a coder so I don't know how easy it is to do, but I think being able to link an ability to a spell permanently wouldn't be terribly hard. So in my spell book, I click on burning hands, it is already tied to an effect that does damage, and (possibly) a template. Or even tying templates to abilities would be a nice time saver.

3. I understand, but to me, spells should be a "quick menu" kind of thing when I just want to see what spells they have/haven't been cast yet. I don't want to go into an edit mode just to see what spells a character has. The edit mode is also clunky and takes awhile to scroll through once they have a few sell caster levels. I like the design of the mini window much better so I was just hoping there was a way.

4. Fingers crossed its soon then!

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

#2 Every time you go in to a spell/effect and build all of your desired output into it, you can save it (up tp of the tab are load save buttons and a drop down to choose what you have already saved). It takes a while, but if you do it as you go it will eventually be a complete list of spells. Make the spell effects, click SAVE, create a unique name for it using spell name and Caster Level. So for Cure Light Wounds, I pick out the effect results (HP tab 1D8+1 healing, Duration instantaneous) then I save it as CLW (CL1). The next time I use it, I select the CLW (CL1) from the Drop-down and select LOAD. Now the effects are there and you are ready to continue targeting and such. Each time you make a new one, keep a unique ID. So when your cleric goes to 2nd level, you load the CLW (CL1) and edit to be 1d8+2 and save it as CLW (CL2). The huge drawback is that these edits and list are only on your D20PRO. Each Player would need to populate their own list. I have recently been curious as to where these are stored in the file system, so that they might be shared. I hope this is addressed in the proposed update, as it is something we have asked for, and it has been heard (as Cris stated) by the Devs.

If I was too verbose or repeated someone else`s information, I apologize. :D

5. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

I did know about that it's just a pain there isn't a working library with all the spells yet. I'm sure it'll come with time. But to save yourself some work, someone already created a creature that has all the effects pre-saved on the token. Check in the user created content forums for Kim Jong-Il and -Un, and that should save yourself a lot of work (unless you already made all of the spells lol).