1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Attack Abbreviations

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Thurgian, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Monsters, in 4e, have far fewer attack than players; and typically a narrower spectrum of effects.

To reduce how often I have to refer to the "Description" of the monster, I have taken to listing special non-attack functions as attacks (Teleportations, whatever); and cramming as much information into the Attack Name as possible.

Some Examples:

"Name" S@W R20 AB3 Ong5

Would describe an Attack Called "Name", that was a "Standard at Will", with a range of 20, producing an Area Burst 3, and providing Ongoing 5 Damage.

Some of the other abbreviations I use:

S4 (or S5 or S6) indicates a standard attack, the recharges on a 4+ (5+ or 6+)

SE Standard Encounter

M@W Minor at Will

CB Close Burst

II Immediate Interrupt

SB Standard, Recharges when Bloodied

ZH (Only available when the mob is reduced to Zero Health)

Certainly not revolutionary; but it does give me an "at-a-glance" overview of the creatures combat abilities.

2. Dan

Dan Member

I do that too! Let's compile a complete list of these kinds of mods, and I'll put that on the 4E survival page on the wiki.

3. Dan

Dan Member

For at will, encounter, and daily powers, we are currently using these for the DDI importer.

- (at will)
    * (encounter)
    ** (Daily)

This also helps with the sorting.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

You are going to make me put glasses on.

I can't remember ever seeing a "-" in front of an @will attack.

5. Dan

Dan Member

Well, you could just keep at wills and basics without prefixes. The major thing is the * or ** for daily/encounter. Those stand out.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Well, you could just keep at wills and basics without prefixes. The major thing is the * or ** for daily/encounter. Those stand out.

7. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

But then, I can only get @wills and basics to be at the beginning of the list by sorting twice, and @wills might be in-front of basics.

I think I need a signature, brb ...