1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Audio stops working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by UndeadDan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

Running D20Pro 2.2 on my 20" iMac and I have a problem where the sound effects stop working after a certain period of time.

I have tried disabling sounds and re-enabling them. No effect.

The only solution I have found is to restart D20pro, and then it only lasts for an hour or so.

Any thoughts?

20" iMac 2.0Ghz Core Duo
    2 GB RAM
    Running 10.6.4

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

That's a strange one honestly, I'll see if I can reproduce it on our end.

Do you have anything else running which might interfere with sound? Does this happen every time you use d20Pro?

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

This has been happening to me too, for the last few months on my Mac. Doesn't matter how many players, but after about an hour, the audio drops out. I have been running the game for between 3 and 5 people every Thursday, for almost a year now, but this started within the last few months. At first it would suddenly come back, but it doesn't do that anymore. The volume for non game stuff seems to be unaffected. I used to run sirius internet radio during the game through the Dashboard, but stopped that when this problem cropped up, but that didn't seem to fix it.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

What happens when you try a software update, to see if there is a java update from Apple?

[​IMG]

5. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

All my software is up to date. My Mac is also relatively new, purchased earlier this year from Best Buy.

6. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

All software is up to date. It does happen every time I use d20pro.

Our play group is actually pretty weird in that 4 of the 6 of us are using Macs and all of us are having the same issue with audio.

Have not tried 2.3 yet, though. I will report back as to whether the problem persists.

7. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I have myself and two players using Macs, and we haven't seen this issue yet. I'll let you know if it does crop up. I hope it doesn't.

8. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

The only commonality that I am seeing is that we are all using Ventrilo.

Could this be the problem?

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It is possible, just an example, Pamela for Skype (allows you to do sound effects over skype for everyone in the conference).. whenever I activate a sound file to be played it takes over and I can't talk until the sound file is over or I press stop and close Pamela for Skype. I remedied this by having my sound effects played on my laptop (2nd computer) connected via Skype as another participant in the conference call. So, you could be correct that an certain feature in the voice chat program could prevent sound from another program from playing.

10. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Hmm this is indeed curious and I can't explain it off the bat. d20Pro uses the plain old Java way to play sounds as detailed here: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/sound/playing.html. This code hasn't changed in ages so v2.3 shouldn't make a difference (though you should definitely upgrade for the new features! :D )

I'm contacting some of you directly to collect more information. We'll figure out what's up and get this issue straightened out soon.

11. kentdavies

kentdavies New Member

Was a solution for this ever found I tried probably a year ago to get this to work and gave up and just started using windows in dual boot or and old desktop so I would not lose audio. Like the others it works for awhile then stops working. I now have tried on a different mac and the same issue. If I restart d20pro it will begin to work for just a few minutes then cuts out again. It gets to be irritating when you cant hear initiave start etc. I really dont want to have to dual boot this computer with the limited space on an ssd. Any idea?