1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Black Maps

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by mercury00, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Ok, another post - whether I connect to my PC over LAN or internet, my custom maps are showing up black for players. Included maps are OK, but the custom ones are just big black squares.

Just to avoid the questions, fog of war is off, I've tried several different reboots, etc. Connections are OK (ports are fine, everyone can connect and to absolutely everything else OK, just not see the maps).

Any idea what's going on? Or what I should try next?

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

So the players can see the creatures and control them, just no map?

Is the map all black, or grey squares?

Which OS and version of d20Pro are you using?

3. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Yes, players can see creatures and control them, on a black background.

The map is all black, no squares, no grey. Or rather, nothing but black where the map is, but if you zoom out you can see the 'bounds' of the black map.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, and various clients, the client I've been testing on is Linux 32 bit. The software version is v2.2.0 full installer.

If I browse the directories where maps are stored on the client machine, I see a map image file that's all black pixels, btw.

Any info I should grab from the computers that would be helpful for diagnosing?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Do you have fog of war set to hide the whole map?

5. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

No, like I said Fog of war is off. Doing anything with FOW changes nothing, and anyway FOW doesn't behave this way, where players can see themselves and everything else fine, but not the map.

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Since you indicate the problem is only with custom maps. Perhaps if you exported one of them, and uploaded it - someone might be able to shed some light on your problem.

Also, out of curiosity - try this.

Run a Judge and Client off of the same (your PC). Open one of the maps in question and broadcast it to the client. Alt-Tab to the client.

Post the results

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Export one of the maps that are showing up black and attach it to a post.
    That way I can look at it in better detail to hopefully replicate the bug.

Thanks

8. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'd attach one of my maps but the board max is 3.0 mb. So I've dropped it into here: http://drop.io/slab1map

Its clean of items and stuff, but you can add them and they'll show up for the player, just not the map itself.

This may just be affecting my Linux clients, in which case I don't know what to do. Running the client on my own machine and my friends Win 7 64bit computer seems to work OK, but Linux clients don't.

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

It worked fine for me.

Can you get us one wtih all the stuff you had on it, maybe something you had no the map was causing the problem

10. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Nope, it's any and all custom maps. It's only affecting linux clients. It looks like a bona-fide bug with linux clients trying to view custom (aka imported) maps. I'm going to see if the problem exists using WINe on the linux client, then again but using linux as the server (right now the judge is Win 7 64, and the clients are various kinds of linux, but all linux clients are affected).

Please look into this, as it prevents me from using the product as I purchased it. You can reproduce it by trying to connect a linux client to a windows judge and using any imported map.

11. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

OK, so I've uncovered a few other things.

The linux client is seriously not working on our linux machines.

We're all pretty much using Ubuntu 10.04 with openjdk 6.

In linux, I can't create custom maps. I can't import maps already created. I'm getting various error messages. Please let me know any specific information you need from me or the linux machines we're using. Thanks.

12. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Ok, another update. I figured out something important: the Linux client can't handle jpegs. This seems to be the root of the problem. On any linux machine I've used, I can't save jpeg maps, characters, etc, or see them as a client. However, pngs work OK. So, I replaced all my jpeg maps with identical pngs, and so its 'working' for me. This should give you a direction to look into things with, to figure out what's going on. Since I've got a 'workaround' I'm good though.

13. KainPen

KainPen Member

I noticed that the other day. My Girlfriend Linux machine will not view jpegs but mine will. I must have installed something different on mine then hers. The only thing i can think of is i have WINE installed and she does not. but i will have to take a closer look.

14. cyderak

cyderak Member

I am getting a GIANT RED QUESTION MARK when i call up custom maps. I am super freakin angered right now. I entered 250 maps and half to 3/4 of those maps are showing up All black with a Giant red question mark where the map should be.

Fixes??????

thanks in advance.

15. Dan

Dan Member

How big are the maps files? (in both dimension and file size).

Have you tried copying the original map files into the FLR folder and creating a Raw Map?

Try this:
    Find out the dimensions you need for the map (in squares)
    Copy/paste the map image into your d20pro\judge\campaign\___\res\FLR folder or subfolder
    Create a new RAW map of X by Y dimensions (as you noted above)
    Open the Drawing tools > Scale tool
    Browse to the copied/pasted map file
    Click the FILL button in the scale tool window.

16. cyderak

cyderak Member

I'll try that

17. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

Hey Cyderak

Where did you get all your maps?
    Are they module maps or just various maps from differant sites?

Thanks
    Tivaan

18. cyderak

cyderak Member

I got them from a ton of different sites.

19. mobius125

mobius125 New Member

Running into the same problem with one linux client, but the others seem to run perfectly well (both are running Ubuntu 10.04). This is curious. Any news on fixes, or should I start the conversion process from jpg to png?

20. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I'm not sure of the status of this but I'll check on it for you with the guys who would have this on their plate.