1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Black screen bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Darkrin, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

Tonight I was running a game I was expecting to possibly use 7 maps I had all of the maps open the characters leveled on the first map as expected I had inadvertently forgot to upload the already leveled characters into d20pro I procceded to do this and during the upload the screen/map went black and all of the characters lost there pictures. I closed and restarted d20 pro no change I then began closing and reopening the maps, over writing them because I wanted to keep them as they where now they all open black and have no pictures on the monsters/characters. re-installing d20pro did not help either

after doing some research I thought it might have to do with java and that i might need to back up to a previous version but that version I think it is, is almost a year old. though the number posted corresponds with nothing else I can find. I really don't want to go back that far if i dont have to.

I am running windows 7 64bit and I was running the latest java 6 32bit....have not tried 7 yet

if I just need to back it up to another version to get my maps back that would be lovely as it was a solid weeks worth of work that I have no back up of yet. yes bad computer tech for not backing my stuff up. any help, light, dark or otherwise is appreciated. As Im really not happy with the fact I may have to redo all of those maps.

Derrick

2. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

reverting back to version 25 from 26 on java did not resolve my problem as my maps are still black along with the people on them without pictures....sigh

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This is due to a corruption of the map file that is open which lost all ties to any picture on the map (including map image and character images).

If there are not many creatures on the map, you could just reassign the images to your creatures and map then save the map by closing the map and either save as a copy or override map.

The other alternative is to restart the map on the last saved version of the map. This is why I usually close then override a map as I work on it every 30min or so. Over the past year this situation happened once to me and when I was trying to replicate what happened using my debug tools it never showed itself again.

4. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

well it happened again last night I had to quickly make a map on the fly in the game luckily I only had one map open besides the new one and it was pretty much done for that point so I just pulled the characters off on to the new map moved them around still it didn't put the pics back so I manually did it and continued playing. Looking today I have a copy of the map but its before I put anything on it like doors or people for the shops etc... oh well...

edit I never updated and wouldnt let java update so its not the java version

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If you use the java file chooser this issue will not happen again.

I've done some more research into this issue, and what happens is when you are loading a map from the file chooser using the native file chooser and one of your players move a character on the board all the image associations are no longer recognized.

This is now a known bug with the native file chooser, and may be addressed with a future update. For now, use the java file chooser and you will no longer have this issue.