1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

class template error: fighter not in classes.txt setting bab

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigkilla, May 25, 2010.

1. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Ok, I have bought d20 pro and I'm liking it. I was trying it out with some friends just to see how they like it and a buddy of mine keeps getting a error when he attacks using the character that says class template error: fighter not in classes.txt setting bab to 0 this is with the pregen character, it also happened with the paladin pregen but the error says paladin instead of fighter. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and on a side note this happened to me as well during a tutorial.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Check to see if your classes.txt file is present. Look in your d20pro\dm\res\manually specified folder. Open the classes.txt file if it's there and check to see that the fighter class is listed.

If that's there, it could be that a pregen is using an older listing... try removing and re-adding the class in the character sheet.

If you are missing your classes.txt file, grab this one (current as of version 2.1) and place it in your d20pro\dm\res\manually specified folder.

What OS are you running?

3. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

I do not see the option to delete the class from the pre existing character sheet. I;m running Xp my buddy is running Vista.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I'll agree that it isn't readily apparent that deleting the class is possible. Afterall there is an "add" button but not a delete. However, just click on the word fighter (or paladin, etc) and press the delete key.

"Edit - Even though this problem has already been resolved, I felt compelled to insert the words that made my sentence actually make sense :roll:

5. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Ahhh ok. But for some reason i just changed the level from 5 to 8 and it seemed to clear the problem up.

6. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Adding levels will change the attack rate and bab per attack, just fyi.

7. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

You can also check the box next to BAB, and enter the appropriate value in the BAB box.

8. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Yeah, all I did was change the level up to 8, save it. Then change it back to 5 and save it. I don't know why it fixed the issue but it did.

9. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hmmm, curious. I will pass this on to the development team. Also, I will see if I can recreate it.

Thanks for your post and your help.

Best regards and happy gaming,

Nick

10. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I haven't tried this with 2.1.1 or the may DDI update, but with 2.1 and the previous version of DDI - I always get a class error (Class 4e not found, setting class to wizard) , even with the proper text file in place.

In the notes section it goes on to say that my character is now a wizard, and doesn't know how to dill with all of the character skills.

Not a huge deal, as I can set the character to the proper class; and manually add skills if I desire.

THis may be resolved in 2.1.1; but I won't be trying that out until my players next level.

11. Dan

Dan Member

Thurgian, where are you importing from? The class 4E is not part of the 4th Edition classes.txt file. It has a class called 4thEd, but not 4E. You may find that changing the name of that class to "4E" in the classes.txt file fixes everything.

12. ogexam

ogexam Member

You need to have the 4e skills.txt and you will need the 4e class in your classes.txt

Once those are set up correctly it will import them with no errors

13. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I have the skills.txt, the classes.txt, spells.txt.

Yet, I always get an error similar to this:

Importer Error Log:
    Unable to import: 4thEd 16 :The Creature Class 4thEd is not installed
    Defaulting to wizard
    Unknown skill: Acrobatics Modifer: 6
    Unknown skill: Arcana Modifer: 15
    Unknown skill: Dungeoneering Modifer: 8, etc.

14. ogexam

ogexam Member

I just set up a fresh install of 2.1.1 and put in the files for 4e and imported a creature just fine.

Are you using the files found http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d ???

From the wiki:
    Ruleset Replacement
    To get started, you should first replace the core ruleset with a 4E one. Basically, this means copying over new text files for classes, skills, feats, and spells. Download the files below and paste them into your d20pro\dm\res\manually specified folder. Note that you need to overwrite the default ones, which handle 3.5 D&D. You should make a backup of your old ones just in case. Your d20pro folder is usually located in your Program Files or Program Files (86) folder.

The page has links to the files as well.

15. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Well, yes and no :p

I have that classes.txt file, exactly.

However, I have added feats to the feats file, and rituals to the spells file - using the same format as in the originals.

I just imported a character using 2.1.1 and the May DDI update. I still have the same results.

The importer is assigner my characters a class of "4thEd" and not imprting the skills. (All of my imported Characters shows their class as 4thEd)

However, if I delete their class, add the proper class and give the character their proper level, everything fixes itself (BAB, Skills); and the error message disappers from the notes page.

16. Dan

Dan Member

could you post a couple of the files you are importing with? Just zip them and attach to your reply post.

17. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Ok, I am not crazy; because I just did this yesterday, and I cut and pasted the error message ....

Today it won't do it. It imports a character, calls it a 4thed (instead of a fighter, etc); but gives no error message. So none of my characters have a class whatsoever, but they do import perfectly - otherwise.

I can only imagine that the previous problem was in some way associated with length of use / memory issues (as d20pro had been opened for many hours; and I had worked on some huge files).

Now, if my characters aren't all supposed to be listed as class "4thEd", we still have a bug; and I will post some files.

18. ogexam

ogexam Member

When I created the importer I just created a new class for 4e that had the correct BAB progression. Since every class uses .5 per level BAB.

So right now it always uses the 4thEd one so it has the right attack bonuses no matter what your classes file. If you had a fighter and you had the 3.5 classes.txt your attacks would be higher then they should be.

I used 4thEd or Wizard as a safety net for if someone was using the plan install and not a special 4e set of classes.