1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Closing Issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by ncassella, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

I've run into this issue the last few times I've tried to close d20pro since hotfix release.

Every time so often (happened at least 4 times now) the application hangs, and will not close.

My campaign is located on an NAS so i expect a slow down especially when I'm saving larger maps, but take what's been going on tonight for instance.

I started an editing session on Wednesday and have been working though the weekend on an off. I need to restart my NAS for an update and I want to close D20pro. I attempted to close it at 8:15pm est and as of this post i'm still waiting for it to close.

The last time this happened I got a message that the campaign didn't shut down correctly and d20pro would try to recover (which it did) i'm assuming if I force shutdown again it'll do the same thing, but i'd really like to know why this keeps happening.

Attached Files:

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi ncassella!

Thanks for the log file, I have looked at the log file and it didn't log anything about any failures recorded about java hanging(D20PRO not closing). I saw some things about failing to find saving throw for dex, and some image logic stuff.

What type of setup do you use for NAS? I'll try to recreate and see what java is accessing when it hangs when closing D20PRO using Windows Assessment Toolkit then I can give you a better response.

3. ncassella

ncassella Member

Thanks much,

The log file I posted was while I was waiting for a shut down, I'll pull the one after the shutdown this afternoon. I have a Synology DS214 running two WD Red (6TB I think) out into a Linksys (forget model) POE (have IP phones) switch. Computer is a Dell Optiplex 990 with an i7 and 12gb ram 5 of which are devoted to D20pro. the computer it's self might be an issue since it was a hand me down when my other machine crapped the bed, but I've been running this setup for a better part of a year now and just recently started having this issue.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I know MS did an update, a short while back that totally reset my NAS security options, and disabled a lot of them. Have you double checked those. Is the drive idling out, going to sleep then when you try to close, windows is looking for you to give creds to reopen the network connection, but d20pro has no way to know that so just sits there waiting on the nas to tell it "yes, I have stored your data"?

5. ncassella

ncassella Member

That's a good point Krillion, I'll try to reenter my creds next time I encounter it.
    Drive its self is fine i was actually working on a map and accessing objects on the drive so I doubt it was idling, but totally worth checking the settings.

In the meanwhile here's the other logfile.

Attached Files:

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

We discussed this some today. Might be onto something with this line of discussion.. could you open a explorer window to your NAS/external drive and refresh it from time to time while using D20PRO and see if the issue goes away. This will ensure that windows or the drive itself never idles out while you are using it. if it turns out it's the case, we may have some suggestions on settings that will lessen or alleviate it...

7. ncassella

ncassella Member

Well I backed up after I got it open again. Just a not it seemed that the data itself wrote to the NAS because aside from saying there was an issue with the way it shut down, everything was there.

I logged in to do some work at about 3pm today and stopped at 5 (minimal stuff so as not to lose a bunch of work if it there is file corruption) I'll refresh my connection to the NAS tomorrow morning and try to close.

Will update one way or another.

8. ncassella

ncassella Member

Looks like having to manually refresh the connection to the NAS works to solve the issue.

I just refreshed before I closed it yesterday and it closed out without a hitch.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

That's step in the right direction then.

10. ncassella

ncassella Member

Same thing with my game last night played from 945pm est until 1230am est and on close it hung, when I refreshed the connection it shutdown instantly.