1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Connection Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rekmp, Dec 15, 2010.

1. rekmp

rekmp New Member

Hello,

I'm having problems with my players connecting to my game. They keep getting the 'timed out' messages.

I've read the post on port forwarding, and have forwarded port 10101 to my internal IP address on my Linksys wireless router.
    I've also added D20pro.exe to Norton Internet Security 2011's firewall and given it "allowed" permission.

I've turned off NIS's firewall, nothing seems to work. My router and modem originally had the same IP, causing a conflict until I changed my router's IP.

I'm going to try booting in Safe-Mode and seeing if people can connect to me then.

Are there any other suggestions of what I might try? I can't figure this out.

Sincerely,

REKM

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Try going to http://www.canyouseeme.org and verifying that your port is indeed open, and giving the correct IP address to your players.

3. rekmp

rekmp New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The website confirmed my IP and when it tried to connect to my port, it timed out, just like my players.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

OK, now that we established that the port is being blocked let's see if we can find out what is blocking it.

For the first test, I would go into your router's settings and create a DMZ pointing to your internal IP address for the computer hosting the d20Pro game (the one that starts with 192.168.X.X). The DMZ setting allows all traffic to be sent to the internal IP address you specify. If this solves the issue we can isolate the cause as some setting(s) in your router causing the blocked port, or it could be mis-routing. Please see the manufacturer's website on how to add port forwarding, or follow the basic instructions here

If DMZ does not fix the issue, the blocked port is caused by some software you have loaded on your computer. You can take your internal IP out of the DMZ and turn DMZ off.

Next I would check Windows Firewall (even if you have this feature off).

Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
    [​IMG]

Click on "Change Settings" then allow or enter in administrator password.
    [​IMG]

Click "Allow Another Program."
    [​IMG]

Pick d20Pro from the list, then click on "add"
    [​IMG]

Select d20Pro from the list and make sure both spaces for check marks have check marks.
    [​IMG]

Press "OK" at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Next, I would check Norton Internet Security...
    Go to (in NIS2011) Settings > Internet Settings > Smart Firewall > Advanced Settings > General Rules > Add.
    Select ADD and next.
    Select "to and from" and next.
    Select "any computer" and next.
    Select "TCP and UDP" and "Only the ports and ....." and "Add".
    Select "Individual ports", select "Local" and type in 10101" and click OK.
    Click Next, Next, type in a rule name and click Next.
    Click "Finish"

If this does not solve your issue, let us know.

Good Luck!

5. rekmp

rekmp New Member

Thanks for the tips on allowing D20Pro through the firewalls! The only other thing I had to do was Port Forward through my modem. It's a Westell F90-610015-06 DSL modem used by Verizon. For tips on port forwarding for that brand, use this post: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1231680128

But my players can connect now! I can rejoice!