1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Creation of spell effects using the new spells tab of the rules library

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coronasunflare, May 21, 2017.

1. coronasunflare

coronasunflare New Member

Hey all, I'm unsure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here goes anyway.

I'm a KS backer and I've been checking out the new beta release (3.6.11.19) and I'm having a bit of an issue with creating spells.

I followed the fireball tutorial, and while the spell works, it does have one weird issue. In the 'modify target' node, I selected mod group HP, mod target HP, but the mod type (which should be damage types, in this case fire) my only choices are armor types (circumstance, dodge, etc). I just left it as 'none' and the spell seems to work.

After making that spell, I made magic missile with no issues (aside from damage type) then I wanted to try a positive energy spell, so I started making cure light wounds. I'm a bit stumped as to how to get the system to cap the healing at +1 per level up to 5th level.

Attached is my CLW spell. As it stands, its multiplying the 1d8 each level, how should this be scripted?
    Also attached the fireball spell so you can see exactly what it's doing.

Thanks and keep up the great work guys!

Attached Files:

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @coronasunflare -- sorry for the delayed response.

To make a positive effect, you need to check "positive" in the effect node.

upload_2017-5-23_12-13-26.png

I've attached a curewounds.xml as curewounds.xml.txt -- you'll need to remove the .txt to import the feature I believe.

Attached Files:

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

since this is now a needed thing, I'll add .xml to the list for allowable extensions.

4. coronasunflare

Thanks owlbear, that clears that up nicely.

Any thoughts on my issue with the fireball spell? My list of 'mod types' seem limited to armor modifiers.

Thanks again!

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

That is likely a rules API issue. Just to simplify the testing what rule set are you using?

6. coronasunflare

Pathfinder, and d20pfsrd

7. coronasunflare

Just wanted to follow up with you all.

Fireball seems to work if I apply it, but when my players sent the spell through I get the template request twice, and the damage never applies.

Also, the cure spell I made still does not seem to function. when I target the effect it doesn't seem to stick, the target window just keeps saying 'no targets' and the healing is never applied.

also the HP mods are still listed as AC modifiers (see above post dealing with fireball)

attached are snips of what I'm talking about as well as the flow chart for cure I'm using.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great progress!

Attached Files:

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting. I'd like to know how the updated build works for you.

For Pathfinder, I find this to be the caster friendly method of writing my initial dice node:

upload_2017-6-3_1-7-41.png

The result when casting is:

upload_2017-6-3_1-8-10.png

And this can be copied to create the higher level spells pretty easily.

Rather than using casterTotalLevels(), you could use spellcasterClassLevel()... however there appears to be a bug in that script which I'll have to take a look at.

There's also clearly something going wrong in the repeat function for this -- or I'm tired and shouldn't be debugging at this hour ;)

Attached Files: