1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Current reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by josh42, Jul 15, 2016.

1. josh42

josh42 New Member

Does anyone know of current reviews for VTTs? Everything I'm finding from Google is at least two years old, which considering all the updates I doubt represents current products. I've used the free version of roll20, but I don't like the asset restrictions as I like to plot out quests for large campaigns far ahead of time, nor do I like the fact that there's no one time pay option. Fantasy grounds looks usable enough, but still on the expensive side and not that great over all. I haven't tried too many of the free tools, but most look a bit janky or not terribly user friendly. I'm liking the demo of d20pro so far, but all of the old reviews seem to favor other VTTs for things like dynamic lighting, better exploration tools, etc with d20pro only really having an advantage in combat automation.

So here's what it comes down to. I like the price point for d20pro, but I'd like a more detailed analysis of the updated version from someone who has more experience in VTTs. If there is not a more current review or comparison, could someone with some more experience sell me on it's advantages vs the competition?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

battlegroundgames has a fairly decent comparison chart though it is fairly stale (outdated).
    http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/compareVTT.html

D20PRO's main highlight over other vtt apps is in it's ability to speed up play with mechanics automatons as well as Shadow casting for lighting. D20PRO actually implements system rules rather than just giving you simple access to rules. Also, unlike lots of other vtts, you are not really restricted to map sizes or number of maps/tokens and other assets.

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

d20Pro is the only system I have any experience with. Its been a great experience for me. Its fairly easy to learn. If you want to run a game that isn't a d20 based product, you can still use the majority of the features in this program. Crafting maps is a breeze whether you use the in program tiles, import a pre-made map, or as I do, draw the base map in a picture editor like GIMP, then enhance it with the d20Pro map tools. its easy to import graphics assets for portraits and map tiles.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member