1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

d20Pro not being brutal enough

Discussion in 'D&D 4th Edition' started by Tarjei, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Tarjei

Tarjei New Member

Hello,

I am new to d20Pro and have been experiencing some character building issues, I've managed most of them, except this one.

Is there a way to get Brutal applied in d20Pro?

I can't find any obvious solutions, nor any posts about it on the forums. I guess it's not the biggest issue, but having Brutal +2 on my axe really does the trick.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While it was for a different reason, I posted a query similar to yours.

It is possible, in the future, they will show the result of each die. Allowing you to see when a person would need to reroll damage dice.

In the mean time I have done the following for Gauntlets of Destruction (reroll 1's)

Given:

The bigger the hit die, the less often a 1 is rolled, small hit die weapons benefit more.

Therefore I calculate the extra damage as iff the player was using a d6 weapon.

On any roll of a 6 sided dice there is a 1/6 (16.66%) chance that a 1 will be rolled.
    On the reroll, there is an equal chance that any of the numbers will be rolled for an average value of 4
    Such that the average value of the Gauntlets are 2/3 of a point for each die of damage.

So, I multiply the number of damage die by 2/3 (rounding to the nearest whole number) and add the result into the appropriate attack.

The result is 1 extra damage for 1d and 2d attacks, and 2 extra damage for 3d attacks (etc).

Not elegant, perhaps, but efficient.

Because of the technically infinite amount of damage that a Vorpal weapon could cause, this method isn't viable for weapons with that attribute.

3. Dan

Dan Member

I usually handle brutal by lowering the die by one and adding +1 damage.

Brutal 1d8 weapon: Rerolls on 1, so it's a 2-8 range. Make a d7+1 weapon.

Brutal 2, 1d10 weapon: Rerolls on 1-2, so it's a 3-10 range. Make a 1d8+2 weapon.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

That makes too much sense

I never think of using dice that don't actually exist. I would have leaned towards 2d4 for the first example, but would have rejected 2d5 for the second. Your answer is simple, consistent, and more accurate.

Next import session, I need to make some changes :)

5. Dan

Dan Member

Yeah, odd dice is one of the many benefits of going digital.

d15 for the win!

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

My group hit level 22 on Sunday Morning.

So, after getting them all "just right" in DDI I imported them and fixed all of their attacks.

A much cleaner solution; and much easier on the brain.

Thanks Again