1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

DDI VT means what to d20 Pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by entity, Feb 6, 2011.

1. entity

entity New Member

So, two and a half months after the announcement of DDI VT, what does this mean for d20 Pro?

Personally I think that d20Pro looks a lot better than the screengrab on the announcement...let me rephrase that...IMMENSELY BETTER!

However, no doubt Wizards will make it more attractive in some way with official integration and whatever, but what I am hoping - since I stopped playing D&D and other d20 products some time ago - is that d20Pro might add functionality for some other game systems, such as World of Darkness and Ars Magica among others :mrgreen:

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

One benefit that D20PRO has over DDI VT is that our requests and input are actually considered and implemented in a realistic, complementary fashion. The Devs here ore awesome and listen!

3. Zug

Zug New Member

Not to mention:
    1) owning the software instead of 'renting' it perpetually
    2) buying a judge license gives you 2 free players
    3) extra player slots are a flat $10 (instead of $10/month)
    4) more systems supported than 4e

4. cyderak

cyderak Member

Nothing, unless you play 4E.......And with PATHFINDER on the rise and other gaming system able to be played, I'm pretty sure D20Pro will be fine.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, adding support for other game platforms would be beneficial :)

6. Sliverspark

Sliverspark New Member

Wizards should've been working on DDVT and 3rd edition rule changes instead of trying to make 4th edition like Warcraft. They missed that bandwagon by miles. I see no reason to ever use their version of tabletop software. d20Pro already has more to offer, with even more to come; and there isn't a subscription fee.

7. spumoni

spumoni New Member

I got my beta invite about two weeks ago. I play 4e, and subscribe to Insider.

While the interface to do so exists, the lack of ability to import monsters and characters is a non-starter.

Pros:
    • Voice chat
    • Supports 4e natively.
    • Dungeon tiles built in.
    • Map administration is very easy.

Cons:
    • I'm concerned they'll try to soak me for dungeon tile sets once the final is released.
    • I'm concerned they'll raise subscription prices to represent the "increased value" of Insider.
    • I'm concerned they'll charge me a monthly fee SEPERATE from insider.
    • Fog of war is lame. The only VT with fog of war that I've really been impressed with is MapTool. The rest of the program is too difficult to use though.

8. Dan

Dan Member

I also subscribe to 4E's DDI. I run a 4E campaign. I'm convinced that d20pro is hands down a better engine.

First, we have very good support for 4E with a few small tweaks: http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d

A major point of concern for me - and it should be for all of us who subscribe to DDI - is that WOTC is demonstrating a desire to move to the online subscription model at ANY COST. Remember the stellar 4E Character Builder? That rocked! Then they moved it all online, with terrible results. Now you HAVE to have a subscription - even if you only need to edit a character or make minor adjustments. Forget uploading your own rulesets. Customization will be further curtailed as they move everything onto their servers. What about all of your custom content? What about your campaign info? What about map storage space? Where will you put those 6 MB maps of Misgivings of the Temple of Elemental Evil? Expect storage limits, if you are able to upload much of your own content at all.

No, I'm not terribly concerned with WOTC's VT - at least not in the specs. I AM concerned with their visibility and market share, as any small company should be. However, I think that when people really look at the differences between d20pro and renting the VT from WOTC, it should be an easy decision to make.