1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

DR in 2.1.1 (Windows)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Thurgian, May 29, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While running our 4e encouter, last night, we encountered an issue with Damage Reduction - If a creature had any DR, whatsoever, the DR was applied to all damage types.

For example: A group of creatures had DR 15//Slashing. When they were hit with fire/bludgeon/piercing attacks, the damage was still reduced by 15.

Most of the time, a little math allowed the proper damage to be calculated - just add 15 to the displayed result. However, whenever the result was 0, it wasn't possible to calculate damage; as you only knew that the player had rolled a 15 or less for damage.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

That's not good...

I will run some tests asap to try to duplicate this issue.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

I just added DR 15 slashing to a creature and then attacked it with many different types and they all functioned correctly.

Could you export the map with the creatures on it and attach it to this post so I can look at the way you have the creatures setup.

As for the not seeing the original damage... well we use to put that up, I guess it got accidentally removed... I'll get it back in.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I made a new map, and copied a player and monster to that map.

The monster is set to 10 and slashing (although, I have also tried 10 or slashing); and my non slashing attacks are still be reduced.

This is easiest to see, with low damage attacks. Try the characters "Basic Attacks" (Staff and Dagger at the top of the list). Often the creature takes less damage than the +damage portion of the calculation.

Attached Files:

• Test.zip
      File size:
      213.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Dan

Dan Member

Wait - that's how DR is supposed to work...

DR 10/slashing means they take 10 less damage unless the attack is slashing. That's why skeletons have 5/blunt. It takes blunt attacks to deal full damage.

Working as intended.
    See the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilit ... eReduction

Have you tried applying JUST fire damage or force damage? Does that also get reduced, because that would be a bug.

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

So, with the software, if a Mob is supposed to take reduced damage from one type of attack, I have to actually set the DR to the other two attacks?

Meaning that my creature that resists 10 points of all slashing damage would have to have it's DR as 10/Bludgeon/Pierce ?

Is this correct?

If a creature was supposed to take less "Force Damage", how would it be indicated?

Also, what impact does the and/or setting have?

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

The "and or" is from 3.5, your playing 4e right?

If you have DR 10/Magic and Silver the creature will take 10 less damage versus all attacks unless the attack is both magic and silver. For and you need to meet all the types.
    If the DR is 10/Magic or Silver then the creature will take 10 less damage versus all attacks unless the attack is magic or if the attack is silver. For or you need to meet only one of the types.

If you wanted to reduce damage from just one type, then adding DR vs the others would do that. Which rule or mechanic are you trying to emulate?

If you go to the elemental resistance area that is where you can put in damage mods due to elemntal types (fire, acid, radiant, etc.)

8. Dan

Dan Member

Please keep in mind that d20pro is designed to adhere to 3.5 d20 system rules before others, so this is how DR works in 3.5.

Generally, damage reduction is used for physical and material types (slashing, blunt, pierce, AND silver, cold iron, etc). Energy types bypass damage reduction, so force, cold, electricity and so on ignore it. Those are handled by Energy Resistance, which works as you expect.

SO if you want something to take 10 less from fire or force, give it Energy Resistance 10.
    If you want something to take 10 less from slashing weapons (but not other ones), first understand that you are making a house-rule (so it's not perfectly supported in d20pro). However, the workaround would be to give it DR 10 blunt OR pierce, since that would allow any blunt or piercing weapon to bypass the DR.

The OR means that either of the materials can bypass the damage reduction. The AND means that ALL of the materials need to be present to bypass the damage reduction. Vampires, for example, have DR 10 Magic AND Silver, meaning that if you have normal weapons, magic weapons, or silver weapons, they take 10 less damage; BUT magical silver does full damage.

In summary:
    • Damage reduction applies to all physical attacks except those with the proper keyword.
    • Energy Reduction applies only to that energy type (opposite mechanic of DR)
    • AND means all conditions must be met
    • OR means any condition can be met

9. Dan

Dan Member

Hey Wes,

I replied before I saw your post. Good summary, but slashing/piercing/blunt isn't in 4E anymore. Physical damage is unnamed. Dunno what system is being used.

10. ogexam

ogexam Member

I opened the map file that was attached and DR works just as designed.

I think it is just a confusion on what Damage reduction is and how it is used.

Does Daniel's and my explanation of DR help any?

11. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

First, thanks for the clarification. It seems backwards, to me, but it is at least logical :)

I am indeed running 4e. Which, as already noted, doesn't generically support the concept of weapon type damage. So this problem is entirely of my own creation.

While I have convinced my family and friends to play D&D, and 4e was what was available, I am an AD&D survivor ...

Certain things, IMHO, are just wrong in 4e. I mean, who ever heard of magic missile, missing ??? (Magic missile doesn't miss in my game, but it also isn't @ will - being rather an encounter power with multiple uses). Likewise, skeletons take reduced slashing/piercing damage, etc.

Have a great day!

Oh, how about a "Insubstantial" check-box?

12. ogexam

ogexam Member

Well if you want more of the AD&D feel maybe you should look into Pathfinder. It is pretty much DND 3.75. It is the one I am playing right now.

13. Dan

Dan Member

No way man, 4E!

LOL

14. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

There is much I like about 4e. Skill checks, homogenized magic, and dumbed down monsters just aren't that list.

I al most always use any previous version of a monster for my campaigns, and adjust appropriately.

Oh, I do like minions though. Minions are awesome. I just need to not populate my encounter with them, until after the dragonborn warrior has used all of his area attacks :p