1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Effect duration of 'round, encounter, day' option?

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by mercury00, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I see that the current effect time limits are usefully labeled as 'instant', 'rounds', 'minutes', 'hours', 'days', 'infinite'.

I'm submitting my feature request to make this customizable, such as has been done with hp points being customizable for when death occurs (0 hp, -10 hp, -con hp, -bloodied hp).

In DnD 4th edition, minutes, hours, days, years, are not significant to game effects. Effects only care about the following: end of round, end of next round, beginning of next round, encounter (begin/end of 2 rounds, etc also). So for now, it seems that '1 round' amounts to 'beginning of next round', and nothing that happens in the same round is worth applying an effect (just move your character the extra 2 squares bob, or, ok if you hit someone with this attack we'll tack on the extra 2 damage, etc). Tracking the difference between end of next round and beginning of next round is a little harder in d20pro for 4th ed, but there's nothing for 'encounter' other than just giving some large number and remembering to basically cancel all effects at the end of any encounter.

Additionally, there are various other game systems where the turn and combat 'session' (encounter) are important, and nothing is tracked in 'absolute' time such as minutes, seconds, etc where this would also be useful.

Not a big deal, as with a little memory and practice it can be worked around. However, it would be totally awesome to have the game board track things in 4th (and a few other systems) as nicely as it does in other tabletop games.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I also think there should be more duration specific descriptors.

current
    round = effect wears off at the start of this creature's next turn. - a great one for these would be defensive abilities or stances, which I use all the time.

more
    round, start of [creature's or target's] next turn
    round, end of [creature's or target's] next turn
    init ends effect once you rest per init.

Are there any effects that strictly depend on the initiative round? So like an effect that ends at the bottom of the round or when round 2 starts? And, if that's the case I would hate to be the last person on the initiative order. Or, do you think my "more" would cover what you want?

3. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Well, as far as I know, the 'more' covers it, as I understand it. I haven't seen anything that names a round or turn.