1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Encounter Builder

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Wheels, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Wheels

Wheels Member

In the sequence of my other suggestion "Combat table and initiative" in the "Feature Requests" I think it would add a a lot of value something that would allow DM's to plan encounters.

this would allow me as a DM create a new encounter, add creatures to it and save to use later. There could exist a button "Start Combat" and all monsters would be added to the "Combat table" I talked about on my other request.

This would mash up very well and give DM some campaign management into to D20Pro

#1 Wheels, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Doesn't Hero Lab perform this function? not trying to sound snarky, just no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

3. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

Hero Lab does have a strong encounter builder, but that depends on which sources you have access to; if you've got most of the Bestiaries, then it's a strong tool.

4. Wheels

Wheels Member

But what does hero lab have anything to do with D20Pro besides there being able to import from it? and not everyone has a hero lab license and wants to have one (and having to buy books from their shop to have access to monsters). So its not inventing the wheel but providing functionality that should exist in D20Pro IMHO.

I have had maps in D20Pro prepared with at least 20-30 mobs invisible on the map with only the roster to manage them and its not an easy task. Being able to have an encounter build would allow me manage those encounters much easier and ready to go. This can be as simple as "Name of encounter + list of monsters in that encounter" and doesn't need to be anything fancy. It's a big QoL improvement from the current roster. Each map can have a list of encounters associated with it or just have the encounter list exist per campaign.

5. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

I like the idea of an Encounter tool within the Roster, where you can mark creatures as active or hidden for the current encounter.
    That would let you use a large map, with multiple encounter points, much more easily; activate whichever group of enemies are in the current encounter, without having to deal with those from the next five.